The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Just wondering what mechanic you guys use for tag-ups. Who covers what runner? I know that there are some variations. I'm just looking for the best two-man system for me and my partner. Ideas????
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
Just wondering what mechanic you guys use for tag-ups. Who covers what runner? I know that there are some variations. I'm just looking for the best two-man system for me and my partner. Ideas????
PU has R3. BU has R2 (and R1 if he tags -- nearly never).

Old Tue May 11, 2004, 10:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
PU has R3. BU has R2 (and R1 if he tags -- nearly never).

You're assuming -- as am I -- that he's talking about the retouch of the base. If he's talking about who takes the subsequent play at the NEXT base, then it depends on the base situation.

The PU only comes up to make a call at third if there's a play on R2 and we started R1+R2. Otherwise, the base umpire has the call in all other situations.

--Rich
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Say runner on third. Fly ball down the right field line that the RF goes to the line to catch. Should the BU take the runner and let the PU have the catch. Or should the PU take both the catch and the tag-up. It's just a hard angle to get, and it's crucial because of a potential score.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Say runner on third. Fly ball down the right field line that the RF goes to the line to catch. Should the BU take the runner and let the PU have the catch. Or should the PU take both the catch and the tag-up. It's just a hard angle to get, and it's crucial because of a potential score.
The mechanic taught in our clinics is PU takes an angle back toward 3B dugout. This allows the PU to make fair/foul call and the tag-up. Also allows PU to get back to the plate for the potential wacker. This is also the mechanic portrayed in the CCA manual. With that said I struggle with this because my first instinct is to chase the ball down the line. I worked a game with Mr. Jenkins last month and watched him nail this mechanic perfectly. For me it is practice, practice, practice.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

It is not that hard if you backup to the third base side of the field as far as possible. You can almost, observe the catch and tag however, this is one of the inherent problems of the 2 man system. Especially if you can get far enough back because of the field.

It is almost impossible for the BU to manage this call.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

for tag-up appeals, multiple runners, PU lead, BU trail.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 01:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
for tag-up appeals, multiple runners, PU lead, BU trail.
PU has R3. BU has the rest. If there is R1+R2, BU has both tags.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

you're right, PU has play at third after tag-up. Sorry. I can't believe I overlooked that, we give the mechanic everytime we have less than two outs and R1 and R2 (along with infield fly).
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FVB58
Quote:
The mechanic taught in our clinics is PU takes an angle back toward 3B dugout. This allows the PU to make fair/foul call and the tag-up. Also allows PU to get back to the plate for the potential wacker. This is also the mechanic portrayed in the CCA manual. With that said I struggle with this because my first instinct is to chase the ball down the line. I worked a game with Mr. Jenkins last month and watched him nail this mechanic perfectly. For me it is practice, practice, practice.
With a runner on 3rd, RF going to the line to make a catch the PU has fair/foul first, so he can't be up the 3B line to rule on touch. He has fair/foul on 1B side, then catch, no catch. This is one hell of a play for PU, but in pre-game I always say I have tags at 3B if I am PU,so I make the call, if there is one. As soon as the RF touches the ball I determine fair/foul and then glance at 3B for the runner tag, then look back for the catch. I would expect my BU to watch for catch, in case I need the help. It's not normally his call but I can't expect him to watch for touch, then turn 180 degrees to look for tag, when I said I would take tags at 3B in pre-game.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by FVB58
Quote:
With a runner on 3rd, RF going to the line to make a catch the PU has fair/foul first, so he can't be up the 3B line to rule on touch. He has fair/foul on 1B side, then catch, no catch. This is one hell of a play for PU, but in pre-game I always say I have tags at 3B if I am PU,so I make the call, if there is one. As soon as the RF touches the ball I determine fair/foul and then glance at 3B for the runner tag, then look back for the catch. I would expect my BU to watch for catch, in case I need the help. It's not normally his call but I can't expect him to watch for touch, then turn 180 degrees to look for tag, when I said I would take tags at 3B in pre-game.

I think what you are saying here is you are going up 1B line for the fair/foul call. The CCA manual, (NCAA), and the FED mechanic in Illinois preaches a line extended from the plate toward the third base dugout. Illinois, or the IHSA, did a video on two and three-man mechanics this year. I assume they are the same mechanics as NFHS, but I am not 100% sure. This was a new mechanic for me this year. If you think about it, the only way PU is going to get a fair/foul look and the resemblance of a look at a 3B tag-up is to use this mechanic.

With that said, the first time I have a squeaker on the line and I am moving away from the 1B foul line, I fully expect Coach Joe to come out and have a creative discussion about my mechanics. I am also sure that I am going to have a nice, pretty, crisply painted foul line. Some of our schools run out of chalk by March 31 so we get to use the old bag to pole sight line. Above mechanic....not so good.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With that said, the first time I have a squeaker on the line and I am moving away from the 1B foul line, I fully expect Coach Joe to come out and have a creative discussion about my mechanics. I am also sure that I am going to have a nice, pretty, crisply painted foul line. Some of our schools run out of chalk by March 31 so we get to use the old bag to pole sight line. Above mechanic....not so good. [/B]
No one has said the mechanic was good but, I got to believe it is the best that can be done for a Two man crew.

This is like trying to get a good read on a left handed pitcher balking or not balking to first. The best position is NOT in the "B" position, however we are stuck there.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
With that said, the first time I have a squeaker on the line and I am moving away from the 1B foul line, I fully expect Coach Joe to come out and have a creative discussion about my mechanics. I am also sure that I am going to have a nice, pretty, crisply painted foul line. Some of our schools run out of chalk by March 31 so we get to use the old bag to pole sight line. Above mechanic....not so good.
No one has said the mechanic was good but, I got to believe it is the best that can be done for a Two man crew.

This is like trying to get a good read on a left handed pitcher balking or not balking to first. The best position is NOT in the "B" position, however we are stuck there. [/B]
I agree with you. There are multiple flaws in the two-man system. I am not a big fan of the position we have to take for the call on a steal of third base either. I agree with angle over distance, but it is almost always a c%$p look.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

When there is a steal at third I always head towards home plate from the "C" position and when I get to the mound, I take a right and have an excellent view of what is happening there. DON'T try and beat the play to the bag because you will always be looking at the runners rearend.

Just remember your first move is towards home. In fact if you don't know where to be in the infield, head towards the mound area and wait for the play to develope. You are at least the same distance to All bases and can adjust much easier, with minimal steps.

Good Luck
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
When there is a steal at third I always head towards home plate from the "C" position and when I get to the mound, I take a right and have an excellent view of what is happening there. DON'T try and beat the play to the bag because you will always be looking at the runners rearend.

Just remember your first move is towards home. In fact if you don't know where to be in the infield, head towards the mound area and wait for the play to develope. You are at least the same distance to All bases and can adjust much easier, with minimal steps.

Good Luck
I agree and that is what I do. We were commenting on two-man flaws, and I just think that is one of them. I don't think it is an excellent view. The excellent view is in three-man+ when I am in "D". JMHO

BP