The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Can anyone help me with the official guidelines concerning
Little League players participating on other weekend travel teams. I, myself, am involved in Dixie Youth in our hometown, yet we have assembled a weekend (travel) team competing in USSSA tournaments. Dixie Youth guidelines are open to this as long as it does not interfere or conflict with our weekly schedule, and is stopped 2 weeks prior to the beginning of All-Star tournaments. However, one of our players from a local town is involved in Little League. He has now been told his son is no longer eligible for Little League All-Stars since his son played with us after HIS season started.

Is this a local Little League bylaw or is it addressed in the official rules governing ALL Little League? I am not able to access the LL rules, and can only find mention of this topic on another board's "frequently asked question" page (where it kinda sounded to me to be the same as DYB).

May not be the place for this question, yet I figured one of you might know.

Am looking for a rules-section-reference and a place to find it.

I feel responsible for the situation, yet the boy's father asked the obviously non-knowing coach prior to playing with us, and was led to believe it was o.k.

Thanks for the help
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

LL allows participation in other programs.

The only restriction is that an all-star player (one on the all star affidavit) cannot play elsewhere starting with the all-star teams first game through the team's elimination from the LL International Tournament.

The rule is on page T-4 in the 2004 LL Rule Book

"Participation in Other Programs

"A player may participate in other youth baseball programs prior to the first game involving that player's team. Once play begins for a tournament team, players named on that team's tournament affidavit may NOT participate in any other youth baseball program until that team is eliminated from tournament play."

Perhaps your league is misunderstanding when it kicks in. The restriction is only in the tournament rules section and thus applies only to the tournament (all-star) team.

This is covered in the LL FAQ at

http://www.littleleague.org/umpires/...echangefaq.asp
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Little League has to allow participation in other programs. If they didn't, Little Leagues would wither away at a rate far more alarming than today's.