The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I should know this, but I am confused. Here goes.

B4 bats in the spot of B3. B4 grounds out. The AB is then appealed. I know that B3 is out for failing to bat in order, but does the out by B4 stand?

I think that B3 is out, the our by B4 is nullified and B4 now bats. Right or wrong?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

That's my thought too. Good call.

Just curious...wouldn't it have been more prudent of the coach to wait for the appeal till B3 (possibly) got on base, then appeal? He already had the out on B4. If B3 gets on, then appeal for the out based on B3 batting out of order?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

In OBR, B4's out is disregarded, B3 is out, and B4 bats again. Obviously, the manager should think before appealing BOO.

Fed calls BOO differently, but in this situation, I think it would be the same as OBR. However, as I remember, if B4 forced a runner at 2B, that out would count. But let someone else give the precise answer for Fed.

Just to show how umpires who do various codes have to remember what sport they're doing, in ASA softball, B4's out would stand, B3 would also be out, and B5 would bat.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

If batting out of order is appealed, and the correct batter is on base, he would not be called out. I know that is a weird situation but it might happen.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

The play stands if an out is registered during a BOO. Thus, if the batter who is batting out of order hits into a double play, the double play stands, but the correct batter is the one who made the 2nd out. The incorrect batter may very well bat again.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

The play stands if an out is registered during a BOO.

Somebody thrown out stealing, for example. Outs recorded after the batter becomes a baserunner are another case entirely.

Thus, if the batter who is batting out of order hits into a double play, the double play stands, but the correct batter is the one who made the 2nd out. The incorrect batter may very well bat again.

Not OBR. What code are you talking about?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
The play stands if an out is registered during a BOO.

Somebody thrown out stealing, for example. Outs recorded after the batter becomes a baserunner are another case entirely.

Thus, if the batter who is batting out of order hits into a double play, the double play stands, but the correct batter is the one who made the 2nd out. The incorrect batter may very well bat again.

Not OBR. What code are you talking about?
Fed, 7-1-2b Exception. I should have made this clear. I do a lot of Fed this time of year, so it was on my mind.