The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

The question was can a right-handed pitcher turn over his right shoulder, do a 180 degree spin while maintaining contact with the rubber, and attempt a pick off at first?

My response was that there was nothing in the rules saying that this could not be done, but in reality there would be alot of places to screw up this type of move, i.e. faking to third or second in mid-motion...failing to maintain contact with the rubber...losing balance...failing to step directly toward first on the throw, etc.

What do y'all think? Interpret in all codes.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I may be wrong,

But doesn't it say something about breaking the back plane of the pitchers plate can only occur on a move to second base. I believe the situation you described would be a balk if at all possible to achieve.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I would call it a balk.

Simply because it has the intent of deceiving the runner, obviously.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
The question was can a right-handed pitcher turn over his right shoulder, do a 180 degree spin while maintaining contact with the rubber, and attempt a pick off at first?
Sure he can. Is it legal? Probably not, for the reason you have already mentioned. Failing to step.

Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Breaking the back plane would be a key problem with this move.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Great point, 3Apples and DG. I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks!
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

"The question was can a right-handed pitcher turn over his right shoulder, do a 180 degree spin while maintaining contact with the rubber, and attempt a pick off at first?"

1..180 degree turn will have him facing 2B.

2..180 degree turn will mean his non-pivot foot breaks the plane of the pitcher's plate.

3..Can you say, "BALK"?
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"The question was can a right-handed pitcher turn over his right shoulder, do a 180 degree spin while maintaining contact with the rubber, and attempt a pick off at first?"

1..180 degree turn will have him facing 2B.
Typically, with a runner on first, pitchers work from the stretch, with their foot parallel to the rubber and back facing first base.

So a 180° turn would have him facing 1B.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

So a 180° turn would have him facing 1B.

But he's facing home, not 1B, when he throws to first. He's facing 3B when he's in the stretch.

I admit to having a little trouble understanding the original question. Does it involve jumping and spinning in the reverse direction from normal? Wouldn't that be a 270°?

Not easy.

Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

270 degree turn is what I took his question to mean, in a counter-clock spin, around the pivot foot. Can't see this as anything but a balk, because the left foot went past the plane of the rubber and you sure can't pick anybody off with this move, unless the move tricked 'em.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Re: I may be wrong,

Quote:
Originally posted by 3appleshigh
But doesn't it say something about breaking the back plane of the pitchers plate can only occur on a move to second base. I believe the situation you described would be a balk if at all possible to achieve.
Guys, the discussion is over. The above quote was the information I was looking for.