The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Question

I wasn't at this particular game, but the play was explained to me this way:

FED Rules. No outs and R1 stealing on the pitch. B1 hits a ground ball to F6. F6 throws the ball into the dugout as R1 has already rounded second base. What is the base award? I will tell you how it was handled after I see some responses.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Welllll,

On all initial plays by an infielder the award is from the time of the pitch (and the time of the pitch is defined as when F1 legally engages the pitcher's plate).

Therefore, no matter what, R1 is awarded third base.

Please don't tell us that he was awarded home!

Tee
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

The umpires properly awarded third base on the play. The offensive coach argued that he should be awarded home.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Agreed,

The fact that the runner was stealing is irrevelant. The base award is based the overthrow being the "first play" on the infield and by rule must be awarded from which base the runner had legally aquired at the TIME OF THE PITCH. Clearly first base.

Runner can only be awarded 3rd base.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 10:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by harmbu
I wasn't at this particular game, but the play was explained to me this way:

FED Rules. No outs and R1 stealing on the pitch. B1 hits a ground ball to F6. F6 throws the ball into the dugout as R1 has already rounded second base. What is the base award? I will tell you how it was handled after I see some responses.
No brainer. Two bases from the time of pitch on a first play by an infielder unless all runner AND the batter-runner have obtained a base.

R1 gets third.

--Rich
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Re: Welllll,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
On all initial plays by an infielder the award is from the time of the pitch (and the time of the pitch is defined as when F1 legally engages the pitcher's plate).

Tee
Tee, you sure about that time of pitch explanation?

2-28-3: Time of the pitch is when the pitcher has committed himself to delivering the pitch to the batter. For the windup position, the "time of the pitch" occures when the pitcher, (a) first starts any movement of his arm(s) or leg(s) after stepping onto the pitcher's plate with his hand already together infront of his body; (b) with both hands at his side, first starts any movement with both arms or leg(s) prior to the pitch; (c) with either hand in front of the body and the other hand at his side, after bringing his hands together, first starts and movement of his arm(s) or leg(s) prior to the pitch. For the set position, the "time of the pitch" occurs the instant, after coming to a complete and discernible stop, starts any movement with the arm(s) and/or leg(s) that commits him to pitch.

In short, some sort of movement is required, not just engaging the pitcher's plate.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

errrr,

Not trying to cover up a "my bad", my thoughts were a pitch cannot happen without "legally engaging" (i.e. the difference between awards by F1 as to if he is in contact with the pitcher's plate or not).

The only rule book I own is stored deeply in the trunk of my car. I cannot quote rules from memory.

Actually Rich's complete review is far better than mine.

Thanks for the clarification.

Tee

ADD:

What I find is extremely funny is that my partner Wednesday night came to me as soon as he exited his car,

"Tee, I need the rule reference for awarding bases when a guy is stealing . . . Monday I awarded third only and this coach told me I was Nuts!"

So I took his current FED rule book and pointed him to page 35/36 which is the base awards tables.

"Dom, Five one one G" is the reference to start from."

We go to the plate conference and Dom brings out a little card and says to "Skippy", "Hey Ryan, it is five one one gee on that play."

Skippy says, "what play?"

Dom, "the one we had Monday!"

Skippy, "Dom you don't need prove anytihng, I assumed YOU knew the rule!"

T

[Edited by Tim C on Apr 30th, 2004 at 11:32 AM]