The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Allright, I need some help from the vets here. If a coach throws his hat down but DOES NOT say anything offensive, should you eject him? I have a pretty long fuse and have never had to eject someone and this is my 3rd season umping too. -John
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ejections are a touchy subject.

I have had my fair share in my five (or six? can't remember...) years of umpiring.

If the coach throws his hat down on the ground, I personally, think it all depends on the context..... if he does it from the dugout or something, let it slide.

If it is directed at you, and therefore "showing you up", I wouldn't hesitate ejecting the coach, as they have no respect for you.

Whenever the coach insults your judgement, (ie- get's personal, uses the word "you"), you can boot him.

The experienced coaches will come out to argue a call and say "where was the tag!?!", as opposed to "how can you make that call!!!!". Watch for this.

I am getting a little off-topic of the hat throwing incident, but once again, I feel that it depends on the context.

Showing you up = ejection.
Not directly a shot at you = warning? or nothing....

If a coach does throw his hand to the ground in discust while arguing, and you don't eject him, then he may take it to the next step, as he feels he does not have to show any respect.

[Edited by Baseball_North on Apr 30th, 2004 at 05:58 PM]
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Well, I warned the coach and didn't eject him. You said exactly what I hoped you would say, so I guess I made the right call. Thanks! -John
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpguy2190
Allright, I need some help from the vets here. If a coach throws his hat down but DOES NOT say anything offensive, should you eject him? I have a pretty long fuse and have never had to eject someone and this is my 3rd season umping too. -John
Where is he? If he's standing in front me and he throws his hat, he's gone.

If he's in his dugout or the third base box and we aren't communicating, I probably didn't even see it happen.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

He was in the dugout. If he did it in front of me I would have ejected him. -John
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Umpguy.

You made the right call, as long as they stay in the dugout OK, but on the field, he's gone.

I, like you have a long fuse too.

Good Job
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks! -John