The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   When does an leegal pitch BECOME and illegal pitch. (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/13343-when-does-leegal-pitch-become-illegal-pitch.html)

Illini_Ref Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:50am

NFHS rules.

A pitcher goes to his mouth while in contact with the rubber. I know this is a violation. However, am I correct that you may warn or eject, but it is not an illegal pitch unless the ball is delivered?(Pen. 6-2-1)

If the ball is not delivered, can an illegal pitch (or balk with runners on) be called? I know that I would call it as soon as I saw it and not wait nitl the pitch is thrown, but can you call an illegal pitch before the ball is delivered in this case under FED rules?

blueump Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:53am

Hand to mouth

If I'm reading the FED book correctly, the pitcher must distinctly wipe off his hand BEFORE going to the ball, regardless of contact with the rubber or not.

The penalty is simply another "don't do that". I would call it to his attention as soon as the hand goes to the ball, making sure he wipes off the ball, and then warning him not to do it again, or he is ejected. It only becomes an illegal pitch if he pitches the ball...but then again, why allow him to go that far? Correct it as soon as you see it and let him know that he gets no more warnings.

Little League ball, I believe, used to have a rule that going to the mouth at all, while anywhere on the dirt of the mound, was called an automatic ball. That would be a welcome change to the FED rule.

The answer to your question "can you have an illegal pitch before a pitch is actually delivered?" is no. Check out FED rule 2-28 under the definition of a "pitch", and "time of the pitch"

JMHO

Illini_Ref Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:16pm

Thanks, that was my take also. Although I believe in OBR going to the mouth is an automatic ball.

In FED I believe that you can have an illegal pitch in one intance without pitching. A pitcher that takes a sign off of the rubber has committed an illegal pitch according to the Penalty for 6-1-1. Aslo, the definition of Illegal pitch states that it is an illegal ACT by the pitcher wihich results in a ball being awarded to the batter.

Don't you love these FED rules.

blueump Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:39pm

HMMMMMMMM???

Is taking the signs without being on the rubber a balk, illegal pitch, or just another "don't do that"?

If I read correctly, the balks are listed under 6-2-4. That says nothing about taking signs from off the rubber. The illegal pitches have to be delivered??? (I think) Sooooo, from my interpretation, this is another "don't do that".

With all that said, and after looking at each of these rules closely, now I'm really confused!

To be honest, I've been calling it differently. Before today I've interpreted the rulebook as: violations of Art 1-3 (Rule 6-1) were all illegal pitches (whether delivered or not) and were balks (with runners on base) and a ball (with no runners on).

Was I right then, or now?????

Where's my MOMMY?????

bob jenkins Fri Apr 23, 2004 02:06pm

Re: HMMMMMMMM???

Quote:

Originally posted by blueump
Is taking the signs without being on the rubber a balk, illegal pitch, or just another "don't do that"?

If I read correctly, the balks are listed under 6-2-4. That says nothing about taking signs from off the rubber. The illegal pitches have to be delivered??? (I think) Sooooo, from my interpretation, this is another "don't do that".

With all that said, and after looking at each of these rules closely, now I'm really confused!

To be honest, I've been calling it differently. Before today I've interpreted the rulebook as: violations of Art 1-3 (Rule 6-1) were all illegal pitches (whether delivered or not) and were balks (with runners on base) and a ball (with no runners on).

Was I right then, or now?????

Where's my MOMMY?????

An "Illegal Pitch" in FED does not have to be delivered. It's specifically defined in 2-18 as "an illegal act commited by the pitcher."

An Illegal Pitch with runners on base is one type of balk -- see 6-2-4c.

In FED, taking the singns while not on the rubber is an Illegal Pitch -- ball if no runners, balk if runners. Enforce it as appropriate in your area.