The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Could someone explain catch and carry to me. Thanks.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

A catch must be a ball that is caught, and voluntarily released. I suppose a "catch and carry" is one where the player catches the ball and does not voluntarily release, ie carries it along with him. Still a catch, because he will eventually voluntarily release the ball. Let's say the CF catches the ball and carries it with him to the mound area where he drops it. Catch and carry.

On the flip side, let's say the CF "catches the ball" and runs 5 steps into the CF wall and then drops the ball. No voluntary release, and no catch.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
A catch must be a ball that is caught, and voluntarily released. I suppose a "catch and carry" is one where the player catches the ball and does not voluntarily release, ie carries it along with him. Still a catch, because he will eventually voluntarily release the ball. Let's say the CF catches the ball and carries it with him to the mound area where he drops it. Catch and carry.

On the flip side, let's say the CF "catches the ball" and runs 5 steps into the CF wall and then drops the ball. No voluntary release, and no catch.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

What a kidder.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

In my neck of the woods, "catch and carry" refers to a fielder catching a batted ball on the field of play but then carrying it into DBT, usually across a demarcation line, though it could be over a fence.

Various codes call this play differently. In OBR, for example, (unless things have changed) the fielder can still throw the ball from DBT, unless he falls down in DBT. I remember one MLB umpire years ago noting that a fielder could make a running catch of a fly ball, hurdle the fence, and, if he remained on his feet, throw from "Row F" of the stands. Not easy to do. I believe that in Fed baseball it's a dead ball, and runners are awarded 1 base from TOP.

I don't recall ever actually reading the phrase "catch and carry" in any rule book. I think, like the infamous "one plus one," it just became a saying that keeps getting repeated.

Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

It is in the FED rule book. On the baserunning awards table. Under the two base section it is number 7.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

unintentional catch and carry--one base award from TOP. Intentional catch and carry--two base award from TOP. FED baserunning awards table One base(runners) #4 and Two base #7 (runners only)
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Various codes call this play differently. In OBR, for example, (unless things have changed) the fielder can still throw the ball from DBT, unless he falls down in DBT. I remember one MLB umpire years ago noting that a fielder could make a running catch of a fly ball, hurdle the fence, and, if he remained on his feet, throw from "Row F" of the stands. Not easy to do. I believe that in Fed baseball it's a dead ball, and runners are awarded 1 base from TOP.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Correct. Basically there is no catch and carry for FED. OBR and NCAA only. In FED once the player enters DBT with both feet the ball is dead. The model of consistency between the rules once again rears its ugly head.

Being lazy and not looking this up, I believe the ball must be caught with both feet in LBT before the player enters DBT and must maintain his feet. This is NCAA and OBR. FED he can straddle the DBT line, or one foot in and one foot out, and still make the catch.