The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

I had a quick question for you guys out there, I was wondering what is taught at schools or whatever on the proper distance from the catcher to where the home plate umpire should be standing in order to see the low pitch effectively? Thanks
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Well, obviously I asked because I would like to know the answer
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I really can't tell you what is taught at the schools. But as I tell new guys all the time. Find a position that is comfortable for you and one that enables you to lock into a zone and thats the correct position for you.

I went to what was called the wrestlers position about 12 yrs ago and have had a good consistant zone since. I think some people are calling it the Gerry Davis stance. Im not sure. So I guess I have been using the Hulk Hogan position. Whatever, you got to try and find something that is comfortable to you and achieves the same consistency each game.

Good Luck

Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
I had a quick question for you guys out there, I was wondering what is taught at schools or whatever on the proper distance from the catcher to where the home plate umpire should be standing in order to see the low pitch effectively? Thanks
The last few years I've moved further back from the catcher, (probably 2-3 ft) and it really helps to see the low pitches.

I think many guys get too close and they get blocked by the mitt or by F2.

But you have to experiment with what works for you. Find what is comfortable for you and then work on making sure that you can see the ball, the plate and the mitt.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

I like an arm's length distance to the catcher, ie I could reach out and touch him in the back. That would be about 2-3 feet back.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Here's your answer:

Remember the phrase; "Heel-toe. Heel-toe."

What that means is, your lead toe should be on the same line as the catcher's heel. Your trail toe should be on your lead foot's heel. So, if you draw a line thru the catcher's heels, your lead/slot toe should be on that line. Then there should be a parallel line to the first line starting on your lead/slot heel. Your trail toe should be on that line.

RH Batter
________C_________C_______ C=catcher's foot
____LF________________
_______________TF

That is what is taught at the schools.