The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Would someone please, clarify this to me. I read somewhere (can´t remember where). After putting ball back in play a L.H. pitcher may throw from the rubber to first to appeal B-R missed it on its way to 2nd. "throwing to an empty base" holds here or not?
2) R2,umpire yells "balk", pitch is delivered an hits batter.
does batter bats again?
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 10:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by southump
Would someone please, clarify this to me. I read somewhere (can´t remember where). After putting ball back in play a L.H. pitcher may throw from the rubber to first to appeal B-R missed it on its way to 2nd. "throwing to an empty base" holds here or not?
2) R2,umpire yells "balk", pitch is delivered an hits batter.
does batter bats again?
(1) It is never a balk when throwing to an unoccupied base for the purpose of making an appeal. Most pitchers, however, will legally disengage to make an appeal. They don't have to, but they do.

(2) Which rule set? In OBR and NCAA, if the batter and all other runners advance one base, the balk is ignored. The batters gets one base on the balk -- if all of the runners are forced by the HBP, ignore the balk. Otherwise enforce the balk and the pitch doesn't count.

In FED (NFHS), all balks are immediately dead, so the pitch doesn't count and the batter stays at bat with the same count.

--Rich