The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I have been daily checking the MLB website to see if this year's umpiring crews are listed, but have seen nothing yet.

Does anybody have any information as to the umpiring crews for MLB this season?
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

It must be a deep, dark secret at this point.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I hope not too deep or too dark.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...ires/crews.jsp

Theres the answer
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the information. I see a few of the regular staff umpire are either starting out are vacation or on the DL.

One slot mentioned AAA-fill in, and the other slot had a "TBD" in the slot. Wonder who else they may be hiring this season?
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

My sources tell me they are looking at a fellow named John Sandlin...thats all I know as of right now
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I know for a fact that they are NOT hiring me this season for full time or part time work as I am not in the minors currently, nor have I ever attended an umpiring school to start the whole process.

Plus, I am not sure that my wife would be thrilled with me revisiting the idea of becoming an MLB umpire.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 04:08pm
In Memoriam

Try this site. you'll get the crews, and a buncha news.Needs to be updated,though.

http://www.worldumpires.com/crews.htm
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 05:05pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Bergy breaks through.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
I know for a fact that they are NOT hiring me this season for full time or part time work as I am not in the minors currently, nor have I ever attended an umpiring school to start the whole process.

Plus, I am not sure that my wife would be thrilled with me revisiting the idea of becoming an MLB umpire.
John,
We had a Minor break through U.P. here.
Adam Bergman (Bergy - forum name) went to JEA.
154 umps, Bergy rated 26th. He just turned 22.
Bergy is headed to Cocoa Beach, FL, for a college tourney and then to the Texas Collegiate league this summer.
We're proud of him.
mick

John, you done with hoops for the year?
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,

Other then officiating camps this summer, I am done for the year hoops officiating wise. I did not get anything for post season this year, but that happened to a lot of officials from my area as well.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 08:27pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Mick,

Other then officiating camps this summer, I am done for the year hoops officiating wise. I did not get anything for post season this year, but that happened to a lot of officials from my area as well.
John,
Well, good luck with your Fed and NCAA diamond games. That many games oughta keep you outa mischief.
May all your head coaches be wise.
mick
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the good luck wishes on my upcoming baseball season. I hope as well that all my coaches are wise, but if I should run into to any that are not, we will do with them a quiet, polite, professional manner as they deserve it from us as umpires and officials.

Are you going to the trainers meetings in July again this year? I am going for baseball as a trainer for the association out of the Clare area that I belong too. I may also sign up to go for the Cadillac association as well.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thank you for the good luck wishes on my upcoming baseball season. I hope as well that all my coaches are wise, but if I should run into to any that are not, we will do with them a quiet, polite, professional manner as they deserve it from us as umpires and officials.

Are you going to the trainers meetings in July again this year? I am going for baseball as a trainer for the association out of the Clare area that I belong too. I may also sign up to go for the Cadillac association as well.
Dunno about renewing the trainer's thingy.
"Maybe" is the best I can do.
mick
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

I was not too sure myself, but as I sat and watched things unfold at the association meeting the other night, I realized I was going to be the one to do it, because either people did not want to do it because it was not their cup of tea, did not have enough experience to do it, or have already done it in the past and did want to do it again.

It is just going to be hard for me because of the schedule I work at my job, plus my full officiating schedule in all the sports I do. But, I realize all of the people that have helped me along over the years in officiating, that it is time to give back to the game that has given me so much already.

BTW, how is your associaiton going up there since the last time I talked with you in Lansing? At the time you and I talked, I was a part of association that you really approved of, if you remember the meeting that we were in.

Well, I am no longer a part of that association. I left that association about 1 1/2 years ago due to the increase of politics going on within the association. I do not agree with politics within a local officials association. I understand and to a point agree with it when being registered with the MHSAA, but politics needs to be left out of the mix within the local officials associations.

[Edited by johnSandlin on Mar 26th, 2004 at 11:18 AM]
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
At the time you and I talked, I was a part of association that you really approved of, if you remember the meeting that we were in.

Well, I am no longer a part of that association. I left that association about 1 1/2 years ago due to the increase of politics going on within the association. I do not agree with politics within a local officials association. I understand and to a point agree with it when being registered with the MHSAA, but politics needs to be left out of the mix within the local officials associations.
I am sorry to hear that about your previous association.
Yes, I thought it was a model set-up.
Our local association has no backbone, not dissimilar to the state association.
It is what it is.
mick