The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Do any of you know of a good website that describes one man mechanics? I have 2 books but the only talk about 2 or more umpires.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
worry about the plate stuff and then get out into the diamond and work angles from around the mound.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

A good key: Imagine a straight line from your body to the outfield that is parallel to the third base line. This line moves as you move, away from and towards the third base line. NEVER let a runner get between that line and the third base line.

With a runner at second, stay left of the mound. With a runner a third, stay in foul territory.

Work for angles instead of distance, but get your butt out from behind the plate and let the coaches and players know you're working to do the best job you can. Nothing worse that an umpire who looks lazy.

If you'd like, email me and I'll send you a one page One Man Mechanics sheet.

[Edited by GarthB on Mar 18th, 2004 at 11:15 AM]
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

PreGame

A helpful side note (to me anyways) when doing one-man.
Learned this in my HS class last year, my first, when I would be doing all freshman games.
Amidst my pregame yak I would also say.....
"....Guys, Im flying solo here, Ill be hustling for ya out there, but, as you know, that means one man calls"....
Pause after that statement, give em each a quick look in the eye to see that they understood, and move on with your pregame. Dont make it the main point of your pregame, but emphasizing it does help.
Did 32 games last season, and I believe by uttering that one little sentence, contributed somewhat to not having any major problems with the coaches when they came out on me. Had the usual discussions about plays, etc, but I knew that was in the back of their mind when they were in discussion with me.