The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

I read a post on the ABUA forum page that said something about umpire schools getting away from teaching the scissiors because of the fatigue and potential back problems that develop after sustained use. They also say the Gerry Davis stance is the optimal stance to use because of its balance and consistency. Did anybody hear these things also, did anybody read the Gerry Davis articles by Childress on officiating.com, or any other thoughts? Thanks
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I did not read the article, but I have heard the samething that you read in the article. I couple of friends of mine who are minor league umpires said that umpiring schools you not teaching the scissors anymore, because of the exact things you mentioned.

They also included knee problems as well that develop because of using the scissor stance.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I talked with a few minor league upmires a few weeks ago, and they said that they are required to work the box stance.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

What do you guys think?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Do the box

I nearly always use the heel to toe box - the toe of the foot behind the catcher is even with the heel of the foot towards the batter.

Occasionally, I will drop to one knee and hunch over in a modified scissors stance when I have a shrimpkin batter; the box is best but if your legs are tired it is tough to get down low in a box stance. I might use this half a dozen times in a season.

You've always got to keep in mind that in this alternate stance, you are not very mobile and that the catcher may run over you if you are not ready to get out of his way.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
I read a post on the ABUA forum page that said something about umpire schools getting away from teaching the scissiors because of the fatigue and potential back problems that develop after sustained use. They also say the Gerry Davis stance is the optimal stance to use because of its balance and consistency. Did anybody hear these things also, did anybody read the Gerry Davis articles by Childress on officiating.com, or any other thoughts? Thanks
I think that's a good point. Having used the knee exclusively for 20 years of umpiring I switched to the box three years ago and it is really wonderful.

No more aching knees, back or hamstrings. Even from game #1 of the season, I'm a little sore but nothing to the extreme that I used to be the first few games using the other stance. I'm sure the sissiors is the same simply because there is so much stress put on the body in the scissors.

And, although it took a good summer to get used to it, I think my zone is just as consistent from the box as it was from the knee.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

The scissors stance is not allowed in minor league baseball (not including triple A). The Gerry Davis plate stance is not taught in umpire school but is acceptable in the minor leagues.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jason
Hello Fellow Blues.

I've seen Laz Diaz work some games and he goes from Scissors to Box and back a few times during a game - same with Jim Joyce.

Do any of you do this...and if you do doesn't it cause your zone to float around?

Thanks a lot.