The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Hi,

for our annual clinic I am supposed to run a session on Dugout conduct. Does anybody as any articles or knows where I can find articles on that subject?

THX

Raoul
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I did a Goggle search and came up with a few things. Who is the clinic for? Coaches, players, parents, umpires?
It is essentially the manager/coaches who must oversee player conduct in the dugout. Umpires generally wouldn't be involved unless the bench is being obviously unruly or displaying poor sportsmanship. Then, you gotta take care of business.

http://infosports.net/baseball/camp/misc/41.htm

http://www.garlandcubs.com/rules.htm

Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

The clinic is for umpires.
And we talking about Germany here. Is not as good conduct to be found here, as to say it nice
A lot of players and coaches leave their stuff outside the dugout and not all the umps care about it. Also somefields don't even have real dugouts. So I guess the aim of the session is to have them all buy in to the concept, that they need to take care about it as noone else will.

But thanks for your help.

What do you guys do if the coach does not take care? How do you handle equipment outside the dugout?

THX

Raoul
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't put the ball in play until all lose equipment is secured, and nonparticipating players are in the dugout/team area.

If they want to play, they will take care of it.

Roger Greene
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

sounds as if those guys are fairly new to the etiquitte of baseball. you could explain to them that it is for the safety of thier own players. put it to them, "what if one of thier players is going ofter a pop-up near the other dugout and he trips over all thier 'stuff' and injures himslef?" or...what if it's his own dugout?

to me, and i don't have a lot of patience for that stuff, if you don't get it picked up...i will begin to "excuse" people from their duties. that may not be the thing for new people to the game.