The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone actually used the $400 All-Star kevlar helmet (the one some MLB umps use)?

If so, how did you like it? Pluses, minuses?

Is the field of vision so good that you don't have to remove the helmet to see a play?
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up All Star masks

Greymule, the Kevlar one is heavier than the less costly ABS plastic model, also by All Star. Other than one is bullet-proof and paintable - and heavier - no difference. EXACTLY the same shape, so the vision is the same. The costlier ones have a cage made of titanium... All Star calls it "pro-tanium". I am going into my fifth season with an All-Star mask, and it seldom comes off. Between innings of course, but I am not prone to taking it off during play. There are times that I have - notably on a rundown where I may take the third base call... other than that... not much in all the years. They are the best and I have yet to find someone say that they did not love it once they tried it.
Best of luck with yours, should you get one.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Has anyone actually used the $400 All-Star kevlar helmet (the one some MLB umps use)?

If so, how did you like it? Pluses, minuses?

Is the field of vision so good that you don't have to remove the helmet to see a play?
One of our HS/College association umpires switched to the All-Star helmet/mask combination two years ago and swears by it. He keeps it on at all times except between innings. However, it is not the kevlar one so I really can't comment on his impressions regarding weight, etc.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info, guys. If I can free up some money, I might go for the kevlar edition. I don't know if other umps have this problem, but I have a tendency to get hit on the top of the head. The helmet is appealing for that reason.

Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I've been beaned with the cheaper version...

And taken them off the face (HARD!) and you name it... not a problem. You really should pick up one of each (Kevlar and the less expensive one)and compare them - on your head. In our neck of the woods, we have something called "Premier League" - basically nobody over 18. Good ball. I've taken some real ringers there - or they WOULD have been ringers in an 'old style' umps mask. The worst thing is the sweat that jumps from my face onto my glasses!
Regards...
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

You really should pick up one of each (Kevlar and the less expensive one)and compare them.

That's the problem. Although I live in the most densely populated state and in the virtual center of the Boston-Washington corridor (and this, Scott, is just as "left" a coast except that is happens to sit on the right of the map!), not one of the many sports stores in the area carries any All-Star helmets. The selection of umpire equipment—masks, indicators, pads, chest protectors, shoes, etc.—runs from cheap to cheaper. Therefore, I have to shop on the web.

Actually, one local store does have the POS+ plate shoe—for 225% of the cost from POS+ itself, and only in size 9.

The stores do stock expensive softball bats, though.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb All Star masks

Ahhh - therein lies the rub (as they say). I went to the All Star web site and found the name of the rep for your region. He (they) are:
Stuart Dudgeon Sales
Frank Rawcliffe
11 Fatima Rd.
Warwick, RI, 02886
Phone: 401-732-5422
Fax: 401-732-5422
[email protected]

Can't lose by asking these fine folks where the goods are so that the informed consumer can decide. And to throw the wrench into the works, be sure to look at the new masks by Easton. As an All Star owner (albeit the lesser model - not Kevlar), I would have bought the Easton given my druthers. For all intents and purpose, the Easton is a clone of the All Star, except with superior (no... SUPERIOR) padding. Have a peek at
http://www.anacondasports.com/webapp...oductId=127523
regards
Scott
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious

Does anyone have any info on the diamond or pro nine versions of this mask?? how do they rank??
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

AllStar, Diamond, Pro-9

I have an All Star. I've seen the Diamond and Pro-9 but never tried them on. The one you are missing is the Easton VRS. THIS one, I've held and tried on. I think it has the best padding of the lot. Have a gander:
http://www.anacondasports.com/webapp...oductId=127523
These ARE sweet. I'm thinking about switching fom the All Star. Have a look at the Easton and decide by trying them all. For my money, Easton, All Star, Pro-9 and Diamond - in that order. The first 3 are all exactly the same shape... take off any markings and it would likely be hard to differentiate between them. The Diamond allows for less periferally, because it is not cut back like the others. Have a look and you will see what I mean.
Go nuts. If you haven't tried one yet, you are in for a treat. I'd NEVER EVER go to an 'old style' ump mask again.
Scott
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen them on the net

But have nowhere I know of in the Toronto area to go and physically try one on. I love the look of the easton and the allstar, which is good, but right now sadly I know, i like the price of the Pro-nine and Diamond, (Huge sale price on Ebay right now) since I haven't tried one, and can't really go and try them on, the lower price is a good idea for my pocket book if on the off chance I don't like it. I loved the info re the periferial vision as that is my # 1 reason for looking at these items. I love the idea of not having to remove the mask in play as that is my worst habit as an umpire. And I have never really gotten the ability to remove the mask and leave the hat on, and that drives me nuts. Obviously I'm also concerned with saftey, but I doubt there is all that much of a difference between them, obviously with the kevlar one, but the lower end models I doubt it, do you have any other information about this side of things??
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in Victoria! Okay - back to topic... the Diamond and the Pro-9 ARE different. Compare the profile of the Diamond to the profile of the Pro-9... Go with the Pro-9. It is a knockoff of the AllStar... the same kind of padding (not foam - All Star started that last year I think)... and a leather chinpad. Hell, peel off the Pro-9 sticker and nobody could tell the difference. Balls deflect off them - this I know! The massive head shots that would turn the old style masks on your face just ... deflect. It is a beautiful thing. Then have the same plate at the back of your head - the same adjustment... a clone of the All Star. Good luck - and let me know what you end up with. I'm interested in what others think. I cannot believe that anyone even wants to wear a hat and the old style masks anymore.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

looking around now

I have taken a close look around, and the diamond ($49US) and Pro nine ($59US)seem similar in the depth of cutout at the side. While the Allstar and Easton go i look like a full inch further to the head. The easton is truly awsume to look at, I can find it for $89 US, which, with shipping is less than the 179.00CDN plus tax it is near by (they have to order it, so I can't try it on.) Does anyone know of a better price or anthing else I should know about this or the Pro nine/Diamond product. What is the opinion in a value versus quality, what would you buy??