The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I think we will all agree, we had some professional discussions concerning some delicate issues such as Sending a Message and Giving a coach an option. I'm sure there are others out there in which opinions may differ.

The point of this thread is that IMO there are really no right or wrong answers concerning these issues as it is a matter of "style" over substance.

One thing I believe is that we should all be open minded and try things to see if they work. I'm a very different umpire than I was when I first started.

First is obvious, I gained more experience but second is because I was willing to try different methods.

Sure, sometimes I fell flat on my face in trying some different things but that comes with the territory. I would urge all of you to try something different once in a while and see if it works.

Also, the bottom line to all of this is: What works in the area you umpire in. We all come from different parts of the country where there are different cultures and habits.

What works in NY might not work in California and vice versa. Take the issue about working a game alone. Some prefer behind the mound and others prefer behind Home plate but the association in which you work will ultimately dictate where one works.

I peronally think the area in which you work decides one's particular style. Let's keep up the discussions as Winter is upon us and we need to keep "our juices flowing"

Pete Booth
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I got one. Dropped third strike mechanic being taught by PBUC. Jack Clark mentioned it on McGriffs a while back. I have a friend who worked the Midwest League this season past. A quick "safe" signal being given by PU on a questionable catch/no catch sit. It is being used in the minors, and I saw a couple MLB guys use it. I tried it in the 30over, gotta use it too often. I'll save that for HS playoffs/.LOL