The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Friends, I am a baseball umpire on the west coast of Canada. With no malice to my friends in Mexico, we, with our devalued currency, consider ourselves to be using the CANADIAN PESO when purchasing goods in America. Now, the abovementioned business has an offer for those of you in America... spend $300 and shipping is free. I have such an order for umpire apparel. I asked the owner of the business if he was able to offer the same deal to me - except that I would pay the difference between what he would pay to ship something in the US and what it would cost to ship the same package up here to Canada. The proprietor is, I'm sure a very nice man, but apparently it costs more to package and send stuff up here! I was lost with this. Different boxes needed to ship here? Different stamps? I don't know. At the end of the day - the message was clear - he did not want my money. As I said to him, hello Honigs! I'm wondering why a businessman would:
A) turn down the offer and
B) basically tell me that my money (even tho it would be US$) is no good.
His catalog is resplendent with customer service mantras. I'm unable to figure out how on earth my proposal would be bad for him. Certainly, my indicating that I am dissatisfied - without even being able to spend a dime is not a good outcome. Everyone who reads this may have to ask themselves if they want to deal with a fellow who manages to see something bad in my proposal. Remember - HE is the one offering free shipping over $300. Thats it. Disappointed! I was SO looking forward to supporting a smaller business. See - I'm spending money anyway... the only question is where.
Best wishes,
Scott Adams
The LEFT coast of CANADA
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Adams
The proprietor is, I'm sure a very nice man, but apparently it costs more to package and send stuff up here! I was lost with this. Different boxes needed to ship here? Different stamps? I don't know.
im guessing it does cost more to ship to canada, so hes well within his right to refuse your free shipping deal i would assume. i might be wrong though.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Recall,I offered to pay the difference. Naturally, he is entitled to say no to the free shipping. Again, if the cost within the US is $20, and the cost to ship here is $30, I offered to pay the difference. The math is easy. The answer is not quite so simple - at least to understand. Bottom line is a fairly sizeable sale foregone.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Smile attention BRIAN43

I checked your profile and saw Fox Valley is where you umpire. I met one of yours in July in Cooperstown - Curt Bremner... a very nice gentleman. If you know Curt, please pass my regards when next you see him.
Scott Adams
Victoria, BC
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Scott:

Their decision may involve more than money.

With the NAFTA Certificate of Origin, the Canadian Customs Invoice and other hoops to jump through, they may have just made an administrative decision to not get invovled in shipping to Canada.

[Edited by GarthB on Nov 7th, 2003 at 11:40 PM]
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

it wasn't Honig's he was talking about

it wasn't Honig's he was talking about
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: attention BRIAN43

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Adams
I checked your profile and saw Fox Valley is where you umpire. I met one of yours in July in Cooperstown - Curt Bremner... a very nice gentleman. If you know Curt, please pass my regards when next you see him.
Scott Adams
Victoria, BC
haha i dont know him but i have heard the name. if i see him at any of our winter meetings i will surely pass that on to him.

i know you offered to pay the difference, and he didnt want to do that which is surprising. its too bad you couldnt get that deal.