The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Coach going onto field before time given (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/104679-coach-going-onto-field-before-time-given.html)

BSBAL18 Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:20pm

Coach going onto field before time given

Im sure the replies to this would be "don't be a dick", but a play may very well happen, so i wanted to get opinions.

On a base-on-balls, most coaches know the rule to 1) ask for time and dont go into fair/live territory before the umpire grants you time and 2) time will not be given until the batter reaches first upon his base on balls.

I had a situation where runners on 1st and 3rd, ball4 called, and the coach just yelled time and ran onto the field to the pitcher to start griping/etc. He was at the mound before the batter reached 1st base. Now nothing happened, but i am well aware that the offense could have stole home, or had some trick play to force a throw (Etc). So what is the proper call in this (or any situation) where the coach asks for time, but doesnt wait until it is given. I have seen this situation a LOT on walks mainly. Do i just yell to the coach "Time has not been granted, get off the field" ? or something political-like? Or do i warn him or her?

THoughts?

Rich Ives Mon Aug 12, 2019 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1033945)
Im sure the replies to this would be "don't be a dick", but a play may very well happen, so i wanted to get opinions.

On a base-on-balls, most coaches know the rule to 1) ask for time and dont go into fair/live territory before the umpire grants you time and 2) time will not be given until the batter reaches first upon his base on balls.

I had a situation where runners on 1st and 3rd, ball4 called, and the coach just yelled time and ran onto the field to the pitcher to start griping/etc. He was at the mound before the batter reached 1st base. Now nothing happened, but i am well aware that the offense could have stole home, or had some trick play to force a throw (Etc). So what is the proper call in this (or any situation) where the coach asks for time, but doesnt wait until it is given. I have seen this situation a LOT on walks mainly. Do i just yell to the coach "Time has not been granted, get off the field" ? or something political-like? Or do i warn him or her?

THoughts?

"Wait coach!"

LRZ Tue Aug 13, 2019 07:26am

Or "When he gets to first, coach" or something similar. Then, make sure play is relaxed before calling time.

Manny A Thu Aug 15, 2019 08:54am

Coach probably has watched one too many MLB games. It's typical that the PU will grant Time when asked right after Ball Four and well before the BR has even come close to first base. It's pretty much a "gentleman's agreement" at that level that nobody is going to try any shenanigans after a walk, such as the BR continuing on to second base. Everything essentially relaxes, so when, for example, the catcher requests Time right after the pitch, the PU goes ahead and grants it.

But that's not the case in amateur play, so we have to remind the catcher or coach, "Hang on, let him get to first base!" when they think Time will be granted right away.