The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Calling a ball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/104602-calling-ball.html)

bsaucer Sun May 26, 2019 02:53pm

Calling a ball

When an umpire calls a ball, does he ever say what kind of ball it is (outside, high, etc.)? That seems like that is "helping" the pitcher or even the batter.

I remember when I played in a softball game as a kid, the umpire would say "Strike!" before the ball would reach the plate. I think he was "helping" the batter know when to swing. I was distracted by his call, so I didn't swing.

I remember the scenes in "Naked Gun" when Leslie called the third strike too soon, and later, during the seventh inning, would signal "balls" with his left hand. Did umpires ever "hand-signal" balls in the past?

Rich Ives Sun May 26, 2019 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaucer (Post 1033014)
When an umpire calls a ball, does he ever say what kind of ball it is (outside, high, etc.)? No. That seems like that is "helping" the pitcher or even the batter.

I remember when I played in a softball game as a kid, the umpire would say "Strike!" before the ball would reach the plate. I think he was "helping" the batter know when to swing. I was distracted by his call, so I didn't swing. You didn't have an umpire. You just had someone from the sidelines sucked into calling pitches.

I remember the scenes in "Naked Gun" when Leslie called the third strike too soon, and later, during the seventh inning, would signal "balls" with his left hand. Did umpires ever "hand-signal" balls in the past? Yes. Attributed to "Dummy" Hoy who was deaf and needed an indication of what the call was.

Interspaced

Matt Sun May 26, 2019 04:36pm

I, for one, will occasionally state where a pitch is.

CT1 Mon May 27, 2019 07:02am

I was trained to only say “Ball” — never announce the location. I have noticed in recent years that some MLB umpires will announce things such as “That’s inside” on very close pitches.

Mrumpiresir Tue Jun 04, 2019 06:24pm

I was taught never to give the location when I first started umpiring in the early 90s. It has been common to call "inside " or "outside" now, at least in the associations I am have been in. I'm told it keeps coaches from constantly asking "Where was that?" It works for me.

robbie Wed Jun 05, 2019 07:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir (Post 1033186)
I was taught never to give the location when I first started umpiring in the early 90s. It has been common to call "inside " or "outside" now, at least in the associations I am have been in. I'm told it keeps coaches from constantly asking "Where was that?" It works for me.

Had a high school AP teacher that would announce our quarterly grades out loud to the class.
He would say "The following students earned a B. Adam, Boob, Carl, etc"
The premise is if your name was not called, you should know if you got an A or a C.

If I call a ball, its because my judgement was that it was off the plate (or high or low.) 95% of the times the question in rhetorical. There is never a question as to a pitch being in or out nor being high or low.
Perhaps occasionally, a coach feels he is getting squeezed on a corner (low and in, low and out, up and in, up and out.) If so, and asked professionally I will offer a discrete hand direction for the coach / catcher to see to clarify.

I never announce location on the call.

Even consider this - Pitch low and inside. Verbal call of "ball low." Are you implying that the pitch caught the plate?

Sco53 Wed Jun 05, 2019 02:15pm

I have been trying this summer announcing location of balls- if it's over the plate, it's up or down, otherwise it's in or out. Actually seems like it might help to slow timing down by announcing before coming up. It might stop questions about location from the dugout, haven't heard much.

Rich Wed Jun 05, 2019 02:47pm

I will say "BALL IN" or "BALL OUT" on close pitches. So do a lot of umpires who work at levels far higher than mine.