The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Batter Requesting Time During Pitch (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/103845-batter-requesting-time-during-pitch.html)

umpjim Wed May 23, 2018 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 1021879)
Wholeheartedly agree with your thinking. I'm wondering if NFHS has clarified what option C means as far as how we enforce this. If they don't mean to issue an automatic strike with JUST a raised hand then I'm not sure why they even included it since one or both feet out of the box would be enough.

It's included so you don't balk a pitcher who stops his delivery due to a raised hand. I agree if it doesn't affect the pitcher we would just call the pitch.

BSBAL18 Thu May 24, 2018 11:51am

My only issue with some of these threads "calling it how it is", is after the play is done, the coach comes out and cites the rule book. "It clearly states here that a strike is to be called". So am i supposed to say "it's badly written rule" ? A bad rule is still a rule, so if it is a clear statement of penalty (i.e. "A strike shall be called). NFHS only here. I would have a hard time arguing my case with a coach asking about what just happened....

But thats why i read all these forum posts :) Live and learn from the best.

Rich Ives Thu May 24, 2018 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1021892)
My only issue with some of these threads "calling it how it is", is after the play is done, the coach comes out and cites the rule book. "It clearly states here that a strike is to be called". So am i supposed to say "it's badly written rule" ? A bad rule is still a rule, so if it is a clear statement of penalty (i.e. "A strike shall be called). NFHS only here. I would have a hard time arguing my case with a coach asking about what just happened....

But thats why i read all these forum posts :) Live and learn from the best.

The NFHS
case play says "if a pitch is delivered a strike shall be called"

Spence Thu May 24, 2018 08:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1021895)
The NFHS
case play says "if a pitch is delivered a strike shall be called"

That's how I read it yet many umpires disagree OR refuse to call it. I'll call it if it's the intent of the rule unless someone shows us an interp that says differently.

umpjim Fri May 25, 2018 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 1021904)
That's how I read it yet many umpires disagree OR refuse to call it. I'll call it if it's the intent of the rule unless someone shows us an interp that says differently.

The intent of the rule is to prevent you balking a pitcher for stopping if the batter holds his hand up. Pitcher comes set, batter holds hand up, you say no as pitcher delivers, batter swings and hits pitch. Are you going to call that a strike?

BSBAL18 Tue May 29, 2018 02:44pm

If the pitcher HESITATED because of the batter holding up his hands, that could cause his rhythm to be out of place and he throws one down the middle instead of high (example). So yes, if i think the pitcher hesitated in any way because the batter put his hand up (per rule), i would call that hit back and give the batter a strike.

However, i await Bob J or Rich I input, as i tend to following what they teach :)

umpjim Tue May 29, 2018 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1021992)
If the pitcher HESITATED because of the batter holding up his hands, that could cause his rhythm to be out of place and he throws one down the middle instead of high (example). So yes, if i think the pitcher hesitated in any way because the batter put his hand up (per rule), i would call that hit back and give the batter a strike.

However, i await Bob J or Rich I input, as i tend to following what they teach :)

And if you were doing your job as per the rule everyone would know it was not a batted ball because you were calling time as the pitcher hesitated. But what if the well trained pitcher did not even blink and threw a pitch that the batter hit into a ground out? Are you calling time then and applying the rule literally. Sorry guys, that's not an out it's just a strike?

CT1 Wed May 30, 2018 06:01am

Saw an old YouTube clip just last night of a MLB hitter who did just that -- held up his hand, started to step out, realized that "Time" wouldn't be granted, & got back in & got a hit.