The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   NFHS Obstruction by F2? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/103634-nfhs-obstruction-f2.html)

jkumpire Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:11pm

NFHS Obstruction by F2?

Hello again,

It has been a long time since I stopped by.

I have a quick question, based on a video play I saw recently. FED only, 1 out R3 only. Batter puts the bunt down, and it's a suicide squeeze. F1 picks it up, throws home to F2 who is straddling the plate, with the plate between his feet.
R3 gets there as F2 catches the ball, and slides headfirst as tag is made.

Is F2 guilty of OBS when he straddles the plate, or does FED consider that R3 has access to the base and so this position is not OBS unless F2 does something else to cause OBS?

I thought I read a ruling where F2 cannot straddle the plate like that, but I may be wrong. If you want to see the play, it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vid7HTji4Fs

bob jenkins Fri Mar 09, 2018 08:18am

Not OBS

thumpferee Fri Mar 09, 2018 08:59am

A fielder without possession of the ball "denies access" to the base...

CT1 Sat Mar 10, 2018 07:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1018550)
A fielder without possession of the ball "denies access" to the base...

Apparently not, since he was (somehow) ruled safe.

Matt Sat Mar 10, 2018 04:35pm

In the video, the runner had access.

thumpferee Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1018598)
Apparently not, since he was (somehow) ruled safe.

I was just citing the rule verbiage. I didn't view the video.

Edited to say: just watched it. He was ruled safe because the PU went 1b line extended.

CT1 Mon Mar 12, 2018 07:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1018684)
I was just citing the rule verbiage. I didn't view the video.

OK, sorry -- you didn't make that clear. I thought you had watched the video & were supporting an OBS call.

BSBAL18 Tue Apr 10, 2018 02:55pm

Obs?

So is the consensus NOT obstruction? Does the fact the batter's knee touched the ground have any merit to the conversation? or is that only applicable if his knee touched outside the box?

rcaverly Wed Apr 11, 2018 06:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1020675)
So is the consensus NOT obstruction? Does the fact the batter's knee touched the ground have any merit to the conversation? or is that only applicable if his knee touched outside the box?

NOT obstruction.

7.3.2 SITUATION D: B1 hits (a) a fair ball, (b) a foul ball, (c) a foul tip while either foot or knee is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter’s box or touches home plate. RULING: Illegal in (a), (b) and (c). The batter is out for making contact with the pitched ball while being out of the batter’s box or touching home plate.

bob jenkins Wed Apr 11, 2018 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1020675)

These interps are from 2008, and the empahsis / specific ruling may have changed since then:

SITUATION 12: As the pitcher moves to attempt a pickoff at first base, the first baseman drops his knee and entirely blocks the runner from getting back to first base. RULING: This is obstruction. A fielder who is not in possession of the ball must provide the runner access to the base he is attempting to reach. The runner will be awarded second base for the obstruction. (2-22-3, 8-3-2)

SITUATION 13: Without the ball in possession, the catcher sets up in the base path, but does allow access to part of home plate. As the ball and the runner converge at home simultaneously, the runner contacts the catcher. RULING: As long as the umpire judges that the catcher provided access to the plate for the runner, this is not obstruction. With the play in motion and the timing such that it is about to occur, a fielder may be in the base path without the ball, provided he allows the runner access to the base or home plate. (2-22-3)