The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 21, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I've read in many places about "notching" your indicators so that you don't have to look down at it to check, you can simply feel it.

I was kinda trying to mess around with an older one I have, trying to file down parts, and leave X number points raised, but it didn't really work.

How do you go about notching your indicator for the blind check?

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Sun Sep 21, 2003, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

This is how I mark mine.
Use a small triangle file.
Cut one narrow v shaped notch in the "1" position of each wheel.
Cut one wide (use a flat side of the file instead of an edge) in the (2) position of each wheel.
Cut two narrow v shaped notches in the "3" position of the ball wheel.

Make no marks on the "0" positions.

You can then read or reset your counter without taking it out of your pocket or ball bag.

Roger Greene
Old Sun Sep 21, 2003, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

I have a "braille" indicator that allows you to tell the count through touch. It takes some getting used to, and I still haven't developed complete confidence in the "feel" of the count.

It's made of heavy-duty stainless steel, though, and can double as brass knuckles in a pinch.

[Edited by greymule on Sep 22nd, 2003 at 08:00 AM]
Old Sun Sep 21, 2003, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

"Braille Indicator"

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
I have a "braille" indicator that allows you to tell the count through touch.
Greymule, is that the one from +POS? You said you're still getting used to it, but do you like it? How exactly is it designed so that you can feel each number?

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Sun Sep 21, 2003, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Here is how I notched mine. I use the Balls on top POS indicator.

B/S/O - all zeros I have one notch at the top

B/S/O - all the ones, I have a notch at the bottom

B - the two I left in tact, no notches.

B three and S/O 2 I smothed the ridges so the wheel is pretty smooth. When I feel smooth I know I'm at the end of the wheel and it also makes it a litte more difficult to turn so I don't click off one by mistake.

I used a dremel w/ a filing bit.

Bob
Old Sun Sep 21, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubbies87
Quote:
I have a "braille" indicator that allows you to tell the count through touch.
Greymule, is that the one from +POS? You said you're still getting used to it, but do you like it? How exactly is it designed so that you can feel each number?
I have the one from +POS. It's a nice conversation piece, but I find it of no use. There is no consistancy in the notches and it is so heavy that to me it feels very ackward. It's like holding a very sturdy combination lock in your hand.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Notched Indicator

I bought a "V" shaped hand file at a hardware store and used it to notch my indicator at each of the zeros. This way I can clear the count without looking down after each batter
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

I do have the one from POS+ (BB168). I didn't realize until I looked at it just now that "POS+" is embossed on it.

It is indeed heavy, but that doesn't bother me.

To me, its disadvantages are as follows:
1. The numbers are small and with the reflective metal are difficult to see at night.
2. The wheels can become hard to turn. If you don't oil them, your fingertips will scrape the notches and become raw by the time a game ends.
3. The "braille" takes a lot of getting used to. Until you have used it enough to make an instant association between feel and number, it's quicker just to look at it.
4. You don't count notches. It's more like morse code. Plus, the wheels don't all expose the same fraction of their circles, and with the code for strike 1 different from that of ball 1, each wheel has a unique feel for each number. You're also feeling each wheel with a different finger and at a different angle, so it takes a lot of use before you "know" the indicator.
5. No ball 4, strike 3, out 3. (To some, that may be a plus.)
6. It is expensive.

Its advantages:
1. It is very rugged and would probably survive unscathed after being run over by a truck. It is built to last forever.
2. It disassembles easily for cleaning and lubrication.
3. It has an "innings" wheel at the bottom. This is especially useful for tallying the score each inning in slow pitch softball, except that you have to remember how many times you've gone around zero. Did they score 12 or 22?

Incidentally, POS+ advertises another "heavy-duty steel" indicator (BB171A) similar in appearance and for a buck less, but with plastic wheels and without the braille. I have it, too, and actually like it better, but it's made of aluminum, not steel.

Some umps around here are using the POS+ BB169, which is the easiest indicator to read and is designed to be read in poor light. It's inexpensive and plastic, and has no ball 4, strike 3, out 3, or innings. However, it's large and easy to use. It might be the most practical indicator yet. It may not be rugged, but if it encounters the aforementioned truck, you still have three left for the price of the braille indicator.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Try the No notch, No braille, No indicator system. All you have to do is remember the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4. The rest is in your brain. No crutches to lean on.

And this is the best part yet. The Cost, NO Dollars.

Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a "braille" indicator....
[Edited by greymule on Sep 22nd, 2003 at 08:00 AM]
A braille indicator for umpires...we better not let this information get out!
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Try the No notch, No braille, No indicator system.

I'm not sure that's not the best way of all. On those occasions when I have forgotten my indicator, I have never had a problem remembering the count or the outs.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some umps around here are using the POS+ BB169, which is the easiest indicator to read and is designed to be read in poor light. It's inexpensive and plastic, and has no ball 4, strike 3, out 3, or innings. However, it's large and easy to use. It might be the most practical indicator yet. It may not be rugged, but if it encounters the aforementioned truck, you still have three left for the price of the braille indicator.
i have this one and love it. i was going to get the one you have (the braile one) but decided ill just try the cheapo one. i'd reccomend it to anyone.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 07:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You know....I just look at the darned numbers occasionally. It's not a crime unless you hold the thing in front of your face.

Rich
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up No clicky indicator counter thingy-mo-bob

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Try the No notch, No braille, No indicator system. All you have to do is remember the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4. The rest is in your brain. No crutches to lean on.

And this is the best part yet. The Cost, NO Dollars.

This was the first year I tried it. I went the whole season with my clicky indicator thingy-mo-bob in my equipment bag out by the hamburger stand. Didn't use it in a single game.

I must admit, I did loose the count a couple times, maybe three times, and had to have my partner help me. But I bet you loose the count even when you are using your clicky indicator thingy-mo-bob. And probably more than three time in a season.

I did better without one. Consciously keeping track keeps you more aware of the game situation. Catchers and batters don't get to use one and they seem to keep track pretty well.

I say carry one in your equipment bag (not your ball bag) just in case your partner wants to borrow one.

Look Ma! No crutches!
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Can I get an AMEN, for another believer?