The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Too Many PLayers on Field (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102990-too-many-players-field.html)

BSBAL18 Mon Oct 09, 2017 08:34am

Too Many PLayers on Field

HighSchool:

So a team can play with 8 on the field, but not 10. Before each inning i always do a quick could to make sure there are 8 or 9 on the field. My question is, what happens if i could 10? Is it my job to bring that up, as the umpire, or do i let it play until the offense complains? if they do , what is the penalty? is that an illegal substitution and the 10th player is restricted to dugout for the game? how can i be illegal substitution if he never really sub'd for a player? :)

I do a lot of little league (13 and under) and these crazy situations come up all the time, and i was just wondering the correct course of action.

rcaverly Mon Oct 09, 2017 08:45am

Nip it in the bud, if possible. Otherwise, apply the rule.

3-3-1 . . . A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not: a. leave the dugout during a live ball for an unauthorized purpose...

PENALTY: At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected.

jTheUmp Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1009815)
HighSchool:

So a team can play with 8 on the field, but not 10. Before each inning i always do a quick could to make sure there are 8 or 9 on the field. My question is, what happens if i could 10? Is it my job to bring that up, as the umpire, or do i let it play until the offense complains? if they do , what is the penalty? is that an illegal substitution and the 10th player is restricted to dugout for the game? how can i be illegal substitution if he never really sub'd for a player? :)

I do a lot of little league (13 and under) and these crazy situations come up all the time, and i was just wondering the correct course of action.

Little League?
"Hey, coach, you've got an extra player out here"

bwburke94 Thu Oct 12, 2017 04:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaverly (Post 1009816)
Nip it in the bud, if possible. Otherwise, apply the rule.

3-3-1 . . . A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not: a. leave the dugout during a live ball for an unauthorized purpose...

PENALTY: At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected.

That rule says "during a live ball" - it says nothing about dead ball situations, which this scenario is.

bob jenkins Thu Oct 12, 2017 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1009815)
HighSchool:

Yes, it's your job to find it, and to correct it. No other penalty.

If you discover it after a play, it's "not covered by rule" so you get to do what's right. I'd do something like let the offense keep any advantage, but nullify any play made by the defense.