The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Location of On-Deck Batter in MiBL "AAA". (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102782-location-deck-batter-mibl-aaa.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00pm

Location of On-Deck Batter in MiBL "AAA".

This past Thursday night I attended the Gwinnett Braves at Toledo Mud Hens game.

The Visitor's dugout is on the 1B side. My family and I have attended a number of games at Fifth Third Field over the years and tonight's game was the first one that I can remember did not have on-deck circles lined on the field. Mark, Jr., was behind the Plate for a H.S. game in April after the Mud Hens season had started and there were on-deck circles lined on the field.

Almost ever Braves on-deck batter set up against the back stop on the 3B Line extended. A couple of on-deck batters even set up as much as five feet or so the the left of the 3B Line extended.

I had never seen that before, while the Med Hens on-deck batters set up where the on-deck circle is usually painted.

MTD, Sr.

umpjim Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1007403)
This past Thursday night I attended the Gwinnett Braves at Toledo Mud Hens game.

The Visitor's dugout is on the 1B side. My family and I have attended a number of games at Fifth Third Field over the years and tonight's game was the first one that I can remember did not have on-deck circles lined on the field. Mark, Jr., was behind the Plate for a H.S. game in April after the Mud Hens season had started and there were on-deck circles lined on the field.

Almost ever Braves on-deck batter set up against the back stop on the 3B Line extended. A couple of on-deck batters even set up as much as five feet or so the the left of the 3B Line extended.

I had never seen that before, while the Med Hens on-deck batters set up where the on-deck circle is usually painted.

MTD, Sr.

Depending on the distance from the plate to the backstop it doesn't seem egregious. I've seen Soriano with a Chicago team a few years back in a similar position with no complaints.

Rich Ives Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1007403)

MTD, Sr.

Apparently none of the participants give a . . .

rcaverly Sun Jul 02, 2017 06:07am

Too much spent on fireworks; too little on chalk.

-- or --

The new groundskeeper is still at the Skyway Marina looking for on deck chalk.

bob jenkins Sun Jul 02, 2017 06:39am

NCAA has a rule that no one can be in the "safety triangle" (formed by extending the base lines past home plate). Five feet form that, if the backstop is the recommended 60' from home plate, isn't going to really grab anyone's attention.

Rich Ives Sun Jul 02, 2017 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaverly (Post 1007406)
Too much spent on fireworks; too little on chalk.

-- or --

The new groundskeeper is still at the Skyway Marina looking for on deck chalk.

Or, like many places, there's just a mat, not a chalked circle.

Robert E. Harrison Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:12am

Pitcher Change and offense conference

I probably should start another thread, but>>>>

During a pitcher change, the third base coach calls over the base runner and the batter. After warm-up pitch 5 or 6 the batter comes back just outside the home plate circle on the third base side and proceeds to take a couple of practice swings. The team's dugout is on the first base side. Do you tell the batter to go to his warm-up circle or let him stand there for the final 2 warm-up pitches?

Is this a liability issue?

Rich Ives Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:57am

Don't be the only one complaining.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 03, 2017 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 1007436)
I probably should start another thread, but>>>>

During a pitcher change, the third base coach calls over the base runner and the batter. After warm-up pitch 5 or 6 the batter comes back just outside the home plate circle on the third base side and proceeds to take a couple of practice swings. The team's dugout is on the first base side. Do you tell the batter to go to his warm-up circle or let him stand there for the final 2 warm-up pitches?

Is this a liability issue?

Send him back to his side. Every time. It in at least some of the rules books / interps, but I used it in all codes.

voiceoflg Thu Jul 27, 2017 06:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1007405)
Apparently none of the participants give a . . .

Apparently Gerry Davis gave a ...

He ejected Adrian Beltre after telling him to get back in the on-deck circle and Beltre moved that mat.

umpjim Thu Jul 27, 2017 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 1008205)

He ejected Adrian Beltre after telling him to get back in the on-deck circle and Beltre moved that mat.

I wonder if that was generated by a complaint by the current pitcher. Beltre warmed up there in previous at bats.

Rich Ives Thu Jul 27, 2017 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 1008205)

Gerry Davis was umpiring a Toledo Mud Hens game? Was Beltre playing for Toledo or Gwinnitt?

voiceoflg Thu Jul 27, 2017 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1008210)
Gerry Davis was umpiring a Toledo Mud Hens game? Was Beltre playing for Toledo or Gwinnitt?

:rolleyes:

He was concerned about the location of the on-deck hitter. But you knew that already.