The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Forfeit? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102631-forfeit.html)

MT 73 Sun May 07, 2017 01:30pm

Forfeit?

Need a ruling on this ASAP--
NFHS rules.
Player is ejected and told he can hang out by the bathrooms outside of the right field fence.
He complies.
When his team later wins he is found on the field celebrating with his team.
Is there any penalty for this?
Would this constitute a forfeit?
I checked both the 2017 Rule and Case book and do not see this interpretation addressed..
Thanks in advance.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun May 07, 2017 01:48pm

1) NFHS Rules requires that he stay in the dugout under the supervision of his coach during the game.

1) Once the game is over, what he does is not your concern.

MTD, Sr.

MT 73 Sun May 07, 2017 01:55pm

Thanks!!!

rcaverly Mon May 08, 2017 04:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1005511)
1) NFHS Rules requires...

Which NFHS rule is that?

john5396 Mon May 08, 2017 07:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaverly (Post 1005516)
Which NFHS rule is that?

I don't think it is an NFHS rule. It is a state requirement here in NC, and based on posts on the subject over time on the forum, it is a requirement in virtually every state.

Rich Ives Mon May 08, 2017 09:01am

Thou shalt not leave a minor unsupervised.

CT1 Mon May 08, 2017 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1005521)
Thou shalt not leave a minor unsupervised.

This. But that doesn't mean he MUST stay in the dugout. He can be under the supervision of another school employee.

Rich Ives Mon May 08, 2017 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1005536)
This. But that doesn't mean he MUST stay in the dugout. He can be under the supervision of another school employee.

Might be possible at a home game. Probably not at an away game.

umpjim Mon May 08, 2017 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1005542)
Might be possible at a home game. Probably not at an away game.

I don't know where I got this interp but an ejected player stays in the dugout unless he is disruptive and then he and a coach go to the bus.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue May 09, 2017 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 1005563)
I don't know where I got this interp but an ejected player stays in the dugout unless he is disruptive and then he and a coach go to the bus.

I do not have my NFHS baseball, softball, basketball books in front of me (and I also officiated NFHS Soccer for 12 years), but the requirement for a disqualified/ejected player to stay in the team area under the supervision of the head coach is a NFHS requirement across all sports. Our NFHS Football and Volleyball officials I am sure can confirm that with regard to their sports. It is a liability thing that dates back many many years ago when a player was sent to the locker room and hurt himself tearing up the locker room. The emphasis is that the student-athlete is to be under the supervision of school personnel at all times.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Years ago, I had it out with director of a national youth basketball tournament about this. We had a fight (it was the most sissified fight I had ever seen). None of the punches came with 12 inches of its intended victim, with the punches of one of the "gladiators" coming from his laughable imitation of Ali's "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee". The game was a boys 16U game. No complaints from the coaches (who were both mad at their respective players for being idiots) and no complaints from the fan/parents (about 50 all total in the stands). We were shooting FTs for a CF about a minute later when the site manager (he was the AD at the school where the game was being played) took the players off the benches and put them, together, in his office, unsupervised while he went back to running the concession stand. He got upset that I put the players back with their coaches. The SM was afraid that their presence on the benches would incite the fans to violence. :eek:

MT 73 Tue May 09, 2017 10:48am

I agree and was told that in my HS softball class but---why don't they just include it in the rule/ case books?

Rich Ives Tue May 09, 2017 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT 73 (Post 1005584)
I agree and was told that in my HS softball class but---why don't they just include it in the rule/ case books?

Ask your lawyer.

thumpferee Tue May 09, 2017 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1005597)
Ask your lawyer.

👍
Liability is on the school! We can't be expected to watch all players all the time!

And once you think you are, ask your lawyer.

john5396 Thu May 11, 2017 09:53am

3-3-2 indicates that an ejected coach must leave, with exception to return to care for ill or injured player.

There is nothing indicating a player ejected must leave. Once a player is ejected, by rule, he is the coach/school's problem. Universally State and school administration guidelines will be that the student remains supervised which practically means stay on the bench where the adults are.

Rich Ives Thu May 11, 2017 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1005630)
👍
Liability is on the school! We can't be expected to watch all players all the time!

And once you think you are, ask your lawyer.

If you send him away it's on you.