The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   New rule for Little League in 2017. (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102050-new-rule-little-league-2017-a.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:15am

New rule for Little League in 2017.

I read an article on the CBS News website about the new rules for Little League in 2017. They are:

1) Local leagues will have the option to force batters to keep one foot in the batter’s box during regular-season games.

2) Allow intentional walks by announcing the decision to the umpire rather than throwing four balls.

3) Umpires will also be able to eject a player and manager determined to be stealing signs. :eek: :eek: :eek: What idiot on the LL Rules Committee thought of this rule change. Stealing signs is as old as the game. If a team's signs are being stolen by its opponent then it should do a better job of concealing them.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Ives Thu Jan 05, 2017 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 996413)
I read an article on the CBS News website about the new rules for Little League in 2017. Ther are:

1) Local leagues will have the option to force batters to keep one foot in the batter’s box during regular-season games. Yes. It will be mandatory in the tournaments

2) Allow intentional walks by announcing the decision to the umpire rather than throwing four balls. Yes. Must be before the first pitch to the batter. Four pitches will be added to the pitch count.

3) Umpires will also be able to eject a player and manager determined to be stealing signs. :eek: :eek: :eek: What idiot on the LL Rules Committee thought of this rule change. Several apparently to get it to pass. :) Stealing signs is as old as the game. If a team's signs are being stolen by its opponent then it should do a better job of concealing them. Haven't seen anyone as of yet say they thought it was anything other than a stupid new rule

MTD, Sr.

See interspaced comments above.

"Lurker"77 Thu Jan 05, 2017 03:37pm

#3 is just pitch selection and location. That makes more sense than other signs, I guess. Otherwise, our new bunt sign is yelling "Bunt!" and if you react, you are ejected.

Quote:

From Little League® Rule and Regulation Changes Announced for 2017 Season

Stealing and Relaying of Pitch Selection and Location

Starting in 2017, local league umpires will have the option to adopt the rule that the stealing and relaying of signs to alert the batter of pitch selection and/or location is unsportsmanlike behavior. If, in the judgment of the umpire, this behavior is occurring, both the player and the manager may be ejected from the game. The same rule will be mandated during tournament play.

john5396 Thu Jan 05, 2017 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Lurker"77 (Post 996473)
#3 is just pitch selection and location. That makes more sense than other signs, I guess. Otherwise, our new bunt sign is yelling "Bunt!" and if you react, you are ejected.

Seems worse to me. It is unsporting to steal defensive signs but not offensive signs?

CT1 Fri Jan 06, 2017 07:33am

If the purpose of a pitch count is to protect young arms from overuse, why would you add 4 pitches that aren't thrown to the count?

bob jenkins Fri Jan 06, 2017 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 996519)
If the purpose of a pitch count is to protect young arms from overuse, why would you add 4 pitches that aren't thrown to the count?

It's a compromise to allow the no-pitch walk (without it, the offense would sometimes swing at a couple of the pitches to drive the pitch count higher than 4).

Rich Ives Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 996523)
It's a compromise to allow the no-pitch walk (without it, the offense would sometimes swing at a couple of the pitches to drive the pitch count higher than 4).

It's also about not affecting the need to replace the pitcher.

MD Longhorn Fri Jan 06, 2017 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Lurker"77 (Post 996473)

Nothing worse than a rule where the consequence is "may be" - talk about inconsistent application.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:20pm

Rule Change #3.

I know that I didn't specify that it when I started this thread but the rule change that I thought would generate the most interest would be #3, the stupid sign stealing rule.

MTD, Sr.

SNIPERBBB Mon Jan 09, 2017 06:16pm

That used to be a thing in the LLWS, you'd see a runner on 2B frantically waving 1-3 fingers in the air after catching simple catcher's signs.

Silly thing to eject coaches/players for...oh wait I thought you couldn't eject people in sanctioned LL?

Rich Ives Tue Jan 10, 2017 01:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 996804)

Silly thing to eject coaches/players for...oh wait I thought you couldn't eject people in sanctioned LL?

Never been a prohibition.

ozzy6900 Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:58pm

Oh boo, hoo, hoo, the runner on 2nd is stealing our signs!
  • Teach F2 how to give the sign properly
  • You need more than one set of signs in a game
Stealing signs is part of the game and it always has been. If you are stupid enough to show them, then the other team has the right to steal them.

No, let's be a bunch of cry baby pussies and put in another rule because we can't take loosing, boo, hoo, hoo!