The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I watched the final innings of the 12 inning Oakland - Bosox game late last evening (well, early morning).

Did anyone else see the batter interference call made by Marsh?

Left handed Oakland batter, called third strike (not really a questionable call, zone possibly looked a little taller than we might regularly see but seemed quite consistent). Runner stealing 2nd. Batter appeared to be slightly peaved but stepped in front of Bosox catcher and had to duck to keep from getting the ball thrown in his left ear. Marsh had already called the batter out but then he called the runner out for the batter's interference.

It doesn't seem that 6.06c is the correct rule but it seems that the runner should have just been sent back to 1st. Yes it is a live ball and the retired batter obviously interfered but the umpire basically guessed that yes the catcher and fielder were surely going to make an out. Maybe I'm just thinking of umpire interference and for interference by a retired offensive player, an additional out is required?
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

The interference doesn't have to prevent a sure out. The retired batter interfered with a play.

Didn't see the play, though.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

he almost didn't see it

Marsh turned to the side to ring up the 3rd strike, and actually didn't see the interference as it happened. Varitek squawked, Marsh looked back, and the batter was by that point crouching right on the plate. So it was still pretty obvious what had happened, but if you'll watch the replays closely you'll see that Marsh was really lucky.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

If there was interference, somebody has to be out. It can't be the batter -- he's already out. So, the runner must be out.

Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: he almost didn't see it

Quote:
Originally posted by YoungRighty
Marsh turned to the side to ring up the 3rd strike, and actually didn't see ...
That's exactly what I noticed. Unless he watch a replay of the game, there is no way he knows for sure.

In the same vein, yesterday's Braves game, first inning with the runner sliding in at the plate. Replays shows a very close play, the runner was ruled safe. What I found strange was how quickly the call was made. Definitely seemed rushed to me. Not just a rushed signal as in hands-to-safe-position-hands-back down, but the call was being made before the runner had even stopped his slide. It just seemed very quick to me.

I'm not faulting these guys for anything, nor do I even know the full details of each of these situations. I just need to remember these situations and how they could help or hurt me with my mechanics. For instance, doing a two umpire system, I never turn my head when calling a strike or a stike-out. (I even make sure time is called before I check out the moms in the stands.)
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: he almost didn't see it

Quote:
Originally posted by YoungRighty
Marsh turned to the side to ring up the 3rd strike, and actually didn't see the interference as it happened. Varitek squawked, Marsh looked back, and the batter was by that point crouching right on the plate. So it was still pretty obvious what had happened, but if you'll watch the replays closely you'll see that Marsh was really lucky.
i noticed that right away. he was very lucky.