The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   runner catches ball while in foul territory (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/101536-runner-catches-ball-while-foul-territory.html)

BEAREF Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:08am

runner catches ball while in foul territory

Here's the situation as told to me...
Batter hits ball down the 3rd base line (one hopper) that first hits in fair territory but then goes over the line into foul territory six to eight feet in front of the base. The baserunner on 3rd who is standing in foul territory instinctively catches the ball.

Should there have been anything other than a foul ball on this play? That is what the crew working the game called.

Any difference in this ruling between NFHS and OBR? A rule reference would be appreciated. Thanks.

bob jenkins Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:33am

If the ball had a chance to go fair, it's INT. If not, it's a foul ball.

Based on your description, the latter applies.

Here's the OBR rule -- it's black and white, but the interp is as I mentioned above w.r.t. having a chance to go fair:

(2) He intentionally deflects the course of a foul ball in any
manner;

Rich Ives Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF (Post 989641)
Here's the situation as told to me...
Batter hits ball down the 3rd base line (one hopper) that first hits in fair territory but then goes over the line into foul territory six to eight feet in front of the base. The baserunner on 3rd who is standing in foul territory instinctively catches the ball.

Should there have been anything other than a foul ball on this play? That is what the crew working the game called.

Any difference in this ruling between NFHS and OBR? A rule reference would be appreciated. Thanks.

Base coaches do it routinely. Foul ball.

BEAREF Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 989642)
If the ball had a chance to go fair, it's INT. If not, it's a foul ball.

Based on your description, the latter applies.

Here's the OBR rule -- it's black and white, but the interp is as I mentioned above w.r.t. having a chance to go fair:

(2) He intentionally deflects the course of a foul ball in any
manner;

If indeed ruled INT the runner would be out. Is that correct?

Rich Ives Thu Aug 04, 2016 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF (Post 989645)
If indeed ruled INT the runner would be out. Is that correct?

Yes - but don't even think of calling it on this type of play.

chapmaja Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 989646)
Yes - but don't even think of calling it on this type of play.

I'm not a baseball umpire, but have seen this play in softball. The call is a foul ball unless the ball had a chance to return fair, which from the OP sounds unlikely.

I had one in softball this year where it was a fair ball because it deflected off the fielders glove. The 3b coach picked it up thinking it was foul. just as the SS was coming over to field it, and she would have had a play at third because that runner also though it was foul and was still at second (and there was a force situation on the play).