The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Can he score? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/101490-can-he-score.html)

Hugh Refner Thu Jul 14, 2016 01:23pm

Can he score?

Guys - I came over from the basketball board to ask this questions. Can a runner on 3rd tag up and score on a caught fly ball that is caught in foul territory? Does this depend on the rule level of the game or is the same rule used at all levels? Thanks.

bossman72 Thu Jul 14, 2016 01:32pm

Legal. Pretty universal on all levels.

MD Longhorn Thu Jul 14, 2016 01:44pm

Absolutely. A caught fly ball is just a caught fly ball, regardless of where it's caught. It is neither fair nor foul.

Rich Ives Thu Jul 14, 2016 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 989139)
Absolutely. A caught fly ball is just a caught fly ball, regardless of where it's caught. It is neither fair nor foul.

The definition of fair and foul are independent of whether the ball is a fly ball or not. Watch the pros. They point fair or foul without regard the type of hit.

The definition of catch says a runner can advance as soon as a fly ball is touched. There is no distinction as to whether the ball is fair or foul.

There is nothing in the rules that restricts a runner's ability to advance if a fly ball is caught.

There is a rule that says the ball is dead and runners return if a foul ball is not caught.

Hugh Refner Thu Jul 14, 2016 03:57pm

How is it determined if the fly ball is fair or foul? Is it the actual position of the ball as to the line when it first touches the glove or is it where the feet of the fielder are touching the ground, or something else? Thanks again.

SethPDX Fri Jul 15, 2016 03:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Refner (Post 989157)
How is it determined if the fly ball is fair or foul? Is it the actual position of the ball as to the line when it first touches the glove or is it where the feet of the fielder are touching the ground, or something else? Thanks again.

Fair/foul in this case is based on where the fielder first touches the ball. The position of the feet thing is one of those baseball rules myths.

rcaverly Fri Jul 15, 2016 06:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 989139)
A caught fly ball is just a caught fly ball, regardless of where it's caught.

Caveat: Within live ball territory.

JJ Fri Jul 15, 2016 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 989178)
Fair/foul in this case is based on where the fielder first touches the ball.

It's where the BALL is when it's touched.

JJ

Hugh Refner Fri Jul 15, 2016 09:49am

Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses. If you have any basketball questions, come on over to our board. :)

BTW - I haven't umpired a baseball game (I worked a local kids park district league) for over 50 years. Not kidding.