The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Interference? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/101481-interference.html)

jamesshank Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:59pm

Interference?

Help please. I'm on the bases, partner is PU. Situation, bases loaded one out. Batter hits a slow infield roller to ss playing in on the grass; ss fields and throws home to cut off the run; ball gets away from catcher allowing run to score. After the run scores, my partner calls interference on the runner who just scored because he says he pushed the catcher off of him and hindered his ability to make another play. Is this correct? And if so, how do you administer the penalty. FYI, he says the contact wasn't malicious.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Tue Jul 12, 2016 09:31am

IF R3 was already safe at the plate, then call R2 out for the INT. BR is awarded first and R1 is forced to second.

IF R3 was not already safe at the plate, then R3 is out, and the bases remain loaded.

That's all assuming the INT call is "correct."

Rich Ives Tue Jul 12, 2016 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesshank (Post 989054)
Help please. I'm on the bases, partner is PU. Situation, bases loaded one out. Batter hits a slow infield roller to ss playing in on the grass; ss fields and throws home to cut off the run; ball gets away from catcher allowing run to score. After the run scores, my partner calls interference on the runner who just scored because he says he pushed the catcher off of him and hindered his ability to make another play. Is this correct? And if so, how do you administer the penalty. FYI, he says the contact wasn't malicious.

What is this?

jamesshank Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 989063)
What is this?

Baseball, modified legion rules, summer non-league game.

Rich Ives Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesshank (Post 989068)
Baseball, modified legion rules, summer non-league game.

The highlighted part. What was the "pushed to catcher off of him" all about?

jamesshank Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 989072)
The highlighted part. What was the "pushed to catcher off of him" all about?

I'm not sure, as I was watching the other runners. My partner indicated that as the runner that scored was getting up after sliding and getting tangled with the catcher, he pushed the catcher, not maliciously, but enough to inhibit his ability to make the next play. My issue is that, I feel, the catcher had no play on the ball as it had rolled away about six feet and the pitcher was backing up the play and had secured the ball. Needless to say it was a clustermess.

ozzy6900 Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesshank (Post 989074)
I'm not sure, as I was watching the other runners. My partner indicated that as the runner that scored was getting up after sliding and getting tangled with the catcher, he pushed the catcher, not maliciously, but enough to inhibit his ability to make the next play. My issue is that, I feel, the catcher had no play on the ball as it had rolled away about six feet and the pitcher was backing up the play and had secured the ball. Needless to say it was a clustermess.

From what I have read, it looks like your partner blew the call. It looks like a train wreck and F2 had no chance to make a play.

soundedlikeastrike Wed Jul 13, 2016 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 989062)
IF R3 was already safe at the plate, then call R2 out for the INT. BR is awarded first and R1 is forced to second.

IF R3 was not already safe at the plate, then R3 is out, and the bases remain loaded.

That's all assuming the INT call is "correct."

I agree with this.

You call the interference when it happens, not look around to see if there's another play first. Sounds like PU felt something possible, play on BR at 1st?

Matt Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike (Post 989122)
I agree with this.

You call the interference when it happens, not look around to see if there's another play first. Sounds like PU felt something possible, play on BR at 1st?

Huh? In this case, if there is no other play, there is no INT.

Rich Ives Thu Jul 14, 2016 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike (Post 989122)
I agree with this.

You have to know if there was a paly and who would be making it. If F1 has the ball and the play iss at say 2B, then you probably can't interfere if you get tangled up with F2.

soundedlikeastrike Tue Jul 19, 2016 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 989127)
Huh? In this case, if there is no other play, there is no INT.

"if" being the key, as Bob stated, and I agree.