The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   LL Majors-Opposing Manager 'forfeits game' (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/101329-ll-majors-opposing-manager-forfeits-game.html)

dysfunctional Fri May 06, 2016 10:54am

LL Majors-Opposing Manager 'forfeits game'

Last night a situation erupted over one of my batters being struck in the helmet from a hard throwing pitcher. Prior to this pitch, the opposing manager called out to his pitcher to get his attention, gave a couple signs around his face and tapped the bill of his hat up.

The stands on my side immediately erupted when my player got hit, claiming it was intentional. As you can probably imagine, tempers flared and things didn't go well after that and the kids were told to go to their dugouts. I made no accusations and tried to play middle man between my players parent and the opposing manager. The opposing manager then said he was forfeiting the game and we win.

We are the first place team and they are the second place team. This game could be a deciding factor on the final standings for the season. I wanted to continue the game as we were winning, but ending it was probably for the best to defuse the situation.

It's my understanding a forfeit like this needs to be referred to the LL BOD? Is this correct?

IAUMP Fri May 06, 2016 11:00am

The honest answer is that most likely nobody on here will know. I would suggest you contact the Pres. of your BOD as soon as possible.

dysfunctional Fri May 06, 2016 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAUMP (Post 987218)
The honest answer is that most likely nobody on here will know. I would suggest you contact the Pres. of your BOD as soon as possible.

I talked with the President, VP and two other BOD members after the game. So they do know. I honestly would prefer to continue the game at another time. I want a legit win, not a win from a forfeit. Otherwise, if it comes down to a one game difference between us, I will never hear the end of it.

Rich Ives Fri May 06, 2016 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysfunctional (Post 987215)
Last night a situation erupted over one of my batters being struck in the helmet from a hard throwing pitcher. Prior to this pitch, the opposing manager called out to his pitcher to get his attention, gave a couple signs around his face and tapped the bill of his hat up.

The stands on my side immediately erupted when my player got hit, claiming it was intentional. As you can probably imagine, tempers flared and things didn't go well after that and the kids were told to go to their dugouts. I made no accusations and tried to play middle man between my players parent and the opposing manager. The opposing manager then said he was forfeiting the game and we win.

We are the first place team and they are the second place team. This game could be a deciding factor on the final standings for the season. I wanted to continue the game as we were winning, but ending it was probably for the best to defuse the situation.

It's my understanding a forfeit like this needs to be referred to the LL BOD? Is this correct?

Managers cannot forfeit. Was the game declared a forfeit on the field by the umpire or did the umpire just suspend the game and send the kids to the dugouts?

By rule only the inability to place nine players on the field has to be referred to the BoD. In practice most leagues require all potential forfeits be reviewed.

dysfunctional Fri May 06, 2016 02:48pm

The umpire did not declare it a forfeit. In the commotion I'm not exactly sure who said for the kids to go to the dugouts. I think he just took the path of least resistance because things were heated. He is an older retired guy, whom seems very knowledgeable not just about rules, but baseball coaching techniques too. He kinda looked at me with big eyes and said see ya later after the other manager said he forfeited.

Rich Ives Fri May 06, 2016 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysfunctional (Post 987238)
The umpire did not declare it a forfeit. In the commotion I'm not exactly sure who said for the kids to go to the dugouts. I think he just took the path of least resistance because things were heated. He is an older retired guy, whom seems very knowledgeable not just about rules, but baseball coaching techniques too. He kinda looked at me with big eyes and said see ya later after the other manager said he forfeited.

Then the game is just suspended.