The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Fed 2016 Interpretations Are Out (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/100865-fed-2016-interpretations-out.html)

Welpe Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:52pm

Fed 2016 Interpretations Are Out
 
I've updated the sticky. Here's a thread for discussing this year's interps.

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource...etations-2016/

CT1 Fri Feb 12, 2016 09:14am

The only one I have a problem with is #17.

When the pitcher disengages the rubber (but hasn't put his foot on the ground behind it), he can't legally deliver a pitch. Therefore, I'd consider him an infielder & award two bases.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 12, 2016 09:33am

#17 is either a balk for throwing to first from the rubber without stepping, or a 2-base award for throwing out-of-play from off the rubber.

john5396 Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:13am

I read #17 as something like a jump turn where the pivot foot lands behind the rubber.

If he is just doing a step off then snap throw I agree

umpjim Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 980583)
#17 is either a balk for throwing to first from the rubber without stepping, or a 2-base award for throwing out-of-play from off the rubber.

Maybe they are envisioning a jump/jab step move where the pivot foot lands behind the rubber. I've seen RH pitchers occassionally land the jab step toward 3B but also behind the rubber. I consider that a move from the rubber. But, it is confusing as worded.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56am

LH pitcher do not do a "jump / jab step" move (or at least it's rare enough that they shouldn't use it in a case play).

CT1 Fri Feb 12, 2016 03:17pm

I envisioned it as a "snap throw", with the LH pitcher moving the pivot foot behind the rubber simultaneous with his sidearm throw to first.

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2016 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 980651)
I envisioned it as a "snap throw", with the LH pitcher moving the pivot foot behind the rubber simultaneous with his sidearm throw to first.

I have to believe that is what they were intending because a LHP doing a jab step or jump turn doesn't make sense.

umpjim Fri Feb 12, 2016 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 980661)
I have to believe that is what they were intending because a LHP doing a jab step or jump turn doesn't make sense.

So how do you envision a snap throw that FED considers in contact without a non pivot foot step? I think @Bob Jenkins has given the two possible alternatives unless you consider my feeble attempt to rationalize.

Welpe Sat Feb 13, 2016 02:22am

I honestly have no idea. Maybe it is what you say.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1