The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Gerry Davis (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/10004-gerry-davis.html)

tw1ns Thu Sep 11, 2003 02:29pm

What does Gerry Davis have against the Twins? Is the dude from Chicago. He blew an obvious call at third last night, and he just blew another one at first today. I hope his equipment is better than he is. I am thinking about getting a pair of GD Plate shoes.

Cubbies87 Thu Sep 11, 2003 03:05pm

While I haven't used any of GD's stuff, I've only heard and seen good things about his shoes. I saw the call at third, and I'm really not quite sure how he missed it. Yeah it was a close play, but not THAT close. The announcer even was half-way through saying how the ball didn't get there in time when GD called him out. I didn't see the call at first though. Maybe he's got stuff on his mind and he's carrying it onto the field?

TriggerMN Thu Sep 11, 2003 03:10pm

Gerry Davis didn't blow a call at 3rd base yesterday. That was on Tuesday, and he admitted it after seeing it on video later that evening. Last night replays showed he missed a call at 2nd base, calling Doug Mientkiewicz out on a pickoff play, but it was so close that even on slo-mo replay, it was close. Today he missed another obvious one at 1st base.

Umps make mistakes. They're human. They're not allowed to get all over a player who commits an error that makes the umps work 2 or 3 more extra innings...

And you conveniently didn't mention the blown call at 1st base last night that allowed Torii Hunter to reach, beginning the Twins' 2-run rally that basically propelled them to a victory.

tw1ns Thu Sep 11, 2003 03:23pm

And you conveniently didn't mention the blown call at 1st base last night that allowed Torii Hunter to reach, beginning the Twins' 2-run rally that basically propelled them to a victory. [/B][/QUOTE]

Because I was talking about Gerry Davis and his lack of calling the obvious.

brian43 Thu Sep 11, 2003 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tw1ns
What does Gerry Davis have against the Twins? Is the dude from Chicago.
its sad that i know this but hes from Appleton, WI., my grandpa knows him. i know what you meant by saying that hes from chicago though.

Alligator Bag Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:57pm

Gerry Davis' reputation on the field is unimpeachable. He is consistently on top as far as ratings and plate work. He may have had a tough couple days, but I wonder how many he has gotten right prior to this week. I haven't missed any calls here as I am sure none of us have. The last thing he is concerned about is who wins and who loses.
As for his equipment, his sales staff and office personnel are efficient and I constantly have my products within a day or two of calling.
We all have weeks like that, I am damn glad mine don't make it to ESPN!

Dakota Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:23pm

Quote:

Gerry Davis' reputation on the field is unimpeachable. He is consistently on top ...
Well, he impeached himself in this series. He was far from "on top."

My opinion of Gerry Davis went down dramatically due to the Sox / Twins series.

Not only did he blow two easy calls in the first two games of the critically important series (bad enough), but he inserts himself into trying to manage the Twins dugout.

But the final straw was the call at 1st in the 5th inning (if memory serves) of the 4th game, calling Olivo (I think it was) safe when he was clearly out. That was not a blown call, in my view. That was a FYC - a call with an agenda. My view - he was baiting the Twins manager into giving him an excuse to eject.

In my view, this was not having a bad series. It was agenda-driven umpiring in a critical series for both clubs.

Inexcusable.

[Edited by Dakota on Sep 12th, 2003 at 12:27 PM]

BT_Blue Tue Sep 16, 2003 01:34am

Can we please lay off the guy!?!

I dont know about the rest of you but I have both met and had nice long conversations with Gerry over the phone. He is a perfect gentleman and the ultimate in professionalism. In this business (and yes, unless you do little league you earn money making it a business) there is no room for us to second guess our brothers in blue (or in this case black and olive).

As for his company, along with Honigs, GD is the only company I will deal with. Scott Ehret and Gerry himself are very helpful and easy to work with. And I only deal with Honigs when Gerry doesnt have what Im looking for.

Im going to stop now cause even though I know how it is to not like an umpire that seems to have problems with your team (see SF Giants and "Balk'n" Bob Davidson) I sitll have infinate respect for my fellow umpires and I think you should too.

Arik

tw1ns Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:35am

Re: Can we please lay off the guy!?!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BT_Blue
there is no room for us to second guess our brothers in blue (or in this case black and olive).

Geeeez. Didn't mean to cause such a ruckus. It was just a comment on a couple of calls that I haven't seen called so poorly in the major league level and it just happened to be Gerry Davis both times.

It wasn't like I was at a high school game in the stands yelling at the umpire, which is unacceptable.

I don't think that "our brothers in blue" , I wouldn't go that far, are above criticism.

These guys are at a different level and I have a hard time considering them my "brothers in blue" like I would with someone at the high school or lower level. There are too many people that do games above the high school level that think their @#*% don't stink, if you know what I mean.
IMHO

tw1ns Fri Oct 03, 2003 09:53am

Guess Who Was At Second Last Night?

Was it my imagination, or was that Gerry Davis at second base last night vs the Yankees when the replay showed Soriano getting thrown out trying to steal? I realize that in real-time it was a bang-bang play, but it also showed Davis not getting good position on the play. He is a
TWINS HATER!! Ha, Ha. Bring on the criticism.

Huskerblue Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:23am

I really doubt Gerry is a Twins hater. A couple of years ago at his clinic in Kansas City, he told our group that one of his favorite places to work was the Metrodome and for Coach Kelly.

Dakota Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:05am

This series was at Chicago. Kelly is no longer managing the Twins. Gardenhire (the current manager) has been ejected more times in one month that Kelly was his entire career. (This may be an exaggeration, but not by much.)

Davis' crew's performance in the White Sox series was miserable. And, as I said, I remain convinced he personally made a FYC against the Twins. That doesn't mean he is carrying a permanent bias, but in that series, he displayed one. My theory - he was embarassed by his personal performance, his crew's performance, and annoyed that Gardenhire kept chirping about it backed up by a monitor in the dugout.

He is assigned to one of the American League DCS crews(although he is not the crew chief). He called the two games with the Twins in Yankee stadium. He has made a couple of very close/disputed calls at 3rd base (Guzman safe; AJ strike on a "checked swing" while trying to avoid getting hit; one other I can't remember.) Seemed to be doing an excellent job; nailed the calls correctly each time (IMO). So, no discernable bias. He'll also be on the crew for game 5 in Yankee Stadium if it goes that far.

TriggerMN Fri Oct 03, 2003 01:00pm

I stood up for the guy before, even as a huge Twins fan. However, he did miss the call on Soriano last night, and that simply can't happen in the playoffs. It wasn't even that close; it was an obvious out to me even before seeing the replay.

And...he definitely should NOT have been scheduled to do the Twins-Yankees series. There were 3 other series, why didn't baseball schedule him somewhere else?

brian43 Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:11am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
He has made a couple of very close/disputed calls at 3rd base (Guzman safe; AJ strike on a "checked swing" while trying to avoid getting hit; one other I can't remember.)
the call on guzman was a great call. when the play happened in real time, i really thought he blew it. then they showed the replay and gerry took a little half step to his left and saw that guzman got the back of the base and the 3rd baseman missed the tag.

Dakota Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:24am

Quote:

Originally posted by brian43
Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
He has made a couple of very close/disputed calls at 3rd base (Guzman safe; AJ strike on a "checked swing" while trying to avoid getting hit; one other I can't remember.)
the call on guzman was a great call. when the play happened in real time, i really thought he blew it. then they showed the replay and gerry took a little half step to his left and saw that guzman got the back of the base and the 3rd baseman missed the tag.

I agree - that was a professional umpire doing a professional job - excellent. If he had an on-going anti-Twins bias, this call would not have been made (it seems to me) - everyone saw it as OUT, in Yankee stadium, etc.