View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've already quietly fired a couple of people this year who dumped one of my varsity games for another. Quietly cause they just won't get availability sheets when I assign my next season. Is it worth losing a conference and 4-6 games or more as well as the possibility of losing postseason eligibility to go work a "better" game?
Nope.

I have worked in six states now, and though it sucks being the new guy all the time, I do find that I catch up quickly in the "favor" of assignors because I always manage my availability diligently and honor my commitments. Despite my newness, my schedules quickly get good. Even in Wisconsin (despite my "vent" about crews and contracts before the season started, to be honest I've done all right this year).

To all new officials reading, heed this. At least at the high school level, 75% of the relationship between you and your assignor has nothing to do with how you call a game on the court. Take care of your assignor and he/she will take care of you. It's that simple. Well, maybe go to a camp once in a while, but otherwise it's that simple.