View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Too many people feel like they have to explain calls. You should make a call and move on. If a coach has a legitimate question, then address that if you have time. But it seems to me people here worry too much about saying the perfect thing to a coach that will never be prefect in their eyes anyway.

Peace
Some officials, even some on this forum, have the notion that coaches "deserve" an explanation after every call, normally under the guise of being "a good communicator." In a lot of cases, your mechanics communicate all that you need to communicate.

One politician official in my district last year tried to appease a constantly chirping coach by talking to him every time he went tableside. He told me during a timeout that the coach was "entitled" to an explanation. I ended up whacking this coach and tossing him, and before he left the gym this official decided to seek out the coach to try and appease him, likely throwing me under the bus in the conversation.

The college philosophy, from what I hear, is moving away from talking to coaches as much. And that's a good thing IMO.