Thread: LeBron Travel
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Common attitude amongst officials on this board and whom I've met, in regards to traveling and violations. Is if you are sure you make sure that you get it and clean it up, and if not you let it go. Also most officials would rather not call something then call something wrong. Finally whether most officials call it game management or advantage disadvantage they apply the same ideas we use on calling fouls to calling violations.

I agree with aspects of this viewpoint and accept that when in Rome . . .

My only concern seems to be the idea that if you call it and get it wrong that is somehow worse than no calling/missing and call and being found wrong later. Maybe in terms of game management or perception coaches/fans are more accepting of no calls/missed calls than incorrect game calls.

ie. If Johnny doesn't travel and I call it a travel. That is somehow worse than Johnny traveling but me missing it/ no calling it.

I get the in the moment one looks worse, but when analysing tape and performance aren't both mistakes? At some point getting 99% of the calls you make correct, but that tape showing you that you are no calling or missing calls that are violations, there has to be some balance. If lets say 40% of the take offs by players in a game are travels by rule, but only 5% are blatant 35% were close in real time (too close to call?). If we get all the blatant ones we all agree and everyone is happy. There are still 35% of 1 particular action that we are no calling incorrectly to avoid incorrectly calling one. Isn't that a problem too? IME it certainly doesn't get treated as a big deal.

This has been me rambling. Sorry for the length as I try to work through what I am thinking on this issue.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!