View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 05:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxsonref View Post
This is incorrect. It does not matter when the foul occurs, it matters when the foul is CALLED. If the whistle has not blown, a foul has not happened, therefore when this play happens, if its in the air when the whistle blows, count it, regardless of when the illegal contact started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am not sure what you are trying to say, but:

If the contact occured before the release and then the horn sounds before the release of the ball, the ball becomes dead when the horn sounds. Award two or three FTs depending upon the type of FG attempt. The official's whistle has no bearing on the play except to indicate that a Foul or Violation has occured.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxsonref View Post
where does the post talk about the horn being involved? It is about a called foul on the release of a shot, correct?

I got ahead of myself and forgot that the OP was not an End of Period scenario. But your statement, which I have highlighted in red is incorrect. As I stated in my OP is that the whistle is a signal to let everybody know that a Foul or Violation has occured. The whistle is always sounded after the fact.

A1 attempts a 3-point FG. If: a) A5 commits a foul before A1 releases the ball A5's foul causes the ball to become Dead immediately, even if the official does not sound his whistle until after A1 releases the ball; and b) if A5 commits a foul after A1 releases the ball, the ball remains Live until the shot is successful or unsuccessful even when the official sounds his whistle.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio