Thread: Annoyed...
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 11:26am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Does it matter to any of you if the discussions were about different things, e.g., banger at 2nd, why an IP, why an OBS, etc.?
It depends. But in the OP, the coach was questioning "safe/out" judgment calls, not any rule interpretations.

I say it depends because I might entertain two or three rule questions from the same coach if he/she is cordial while asking. But after that, I'm going to warn the coach that this is a game, not a rules clinic, and that if he/she doesn't understand why certain rulings were made, he/she needs to take the time to open the rule book and learn.

And that's probably during a game in a rec league. High school JV? Those coaches should know better.

As for judgment calls like the banger, the coach may get away with one or two asks.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker