View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have read that it is not technically correct. Again, it really depends on who is saying it and where you are saying that word. Language is fluid and changes all the time with slang and dialect.
Language DOES change, and what becomes so commonplace can sometimes become accepted. Technically, "Can I have some water?" is incorrect, but so few people say "May I" anymore that it may soon become accepted by use.

Not so with irregardless. I have never seen a credible grammar source or dictionary--and I have looked extensively--that suggests "irregardless" is accepted or interchangeable with "regardless." All recommend, much like the Oxford dictionary: "Irregardless is widely heard, perhaps arising under the influence of such perfectly correct forms as irrespective , but should be avoided by careful users of English. Use regardless to mean ‘without regard or consideration for’ or ‘nevertheless’."

It is however, clearly understood what the user is saying when they say "irregardless," and it is boorish to correct the user. But I think it would be GROOVY if we all used the more proper word.

Oh, and I didn't make a pre-season prediction, but 3 Ts. 2 for substitutions, 1 for unsportsmanlike spiking the ball after a call.