View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error Case Play

A1 is fouled and entitled to two free throws. However, the officials indicate a one-and-one bonus situation. The first attempt is unsuccessful; B4 rebounds the ball and passes it up to B2. The error is discovered with B2 in possession of the live ball near mid-court.

RULING: The error is discovered within the correctable error timeframe, and shall be corrected. Team B securing the rebound and passing to a teammate constitutes no change in team possession. Therefore, A1 will receive the merited free throw with players in lane line spaces and play resumes from the free throw. (2-10-1a)

I dont understand how this is not a change of possession....A is in control when the error is made and B is in control when the game is stopped??? Can someone explain this.

I thought the way this error was handled was clear the lane let A shoot there second free throw give B the ball at the POI and proceed....How is Situation H Which I copied here not administered the same way Situation A is......these to plays seem to contradict themselves to me......is there a mistake in the casebook......

In 2.10.1 Situation H
A1 is fouled prior to the bonus, but erroneously A1 is awarded a one-and-one. The error is discoveredc) after B1 has rebounded the miss on the second free throw; (d) after B1 has the ball for a throw-in after both attempts are successful; (e) after B2 has control of the throw-in from B1 after A1’s two successful throws; or (f) after B1 has rebounded the miss on the second free throw and is fouled by A2.

RULING: In (c), (d) and (e), the successful free throw(s) are canceled and play continues with a throw-in by Team B since B had the ball when the game was interrupted for correction. In (f), the successful free throw is canceled, charge A2’s foul and continue play with either a free throw (bonus) for B1 or throw-in for Team B.

Last edited by phife23; Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 11:59am.