View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We all make mistakes.

Last Thursday my crew was working the last game of the season between two 1-7 teams. The *first* flag of the game was a 15-yard face mask with :12 left in the first quarter. We were playing in a driving rainstorm at 42 degrees and I was winding the clock as quickly as I could every time I had to start it.

So I wind it, the clock runs out for the first quarter, and the first time I even considered running an untimed down was when I watched the video on Tuesday.

Quite frankly, I know better. And I'm certain I'm still the only one that knows better. No matter -- I'm paid to get those things right.

Congrats on the playoff game. We have our second rounder tomorrow and then we're done for the season.
My linesman told me tonight that I'm clearly in early stages of Alzheimer's. He said that not only did we run an untimed down, I was the one who notified both benches that we were going to do so.

After thinking about it a bit, I remembered one detail that proved he was right. As the play ran, I watched the clock to see if time would run off from 12:00. 2 seconds did, then the clock operator reset the clock to 12:00.

Wonder why I forgot...I'm not *that* old.