Thread: Social Media
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Diving deeper with this - WHY and HOW did you get to be on "beer drinking terms" with them?

I think there's a difference between being friends with a coach, and being friendly with a coach. As Steve pointed out earlier, NCAA wants the latter, not the former. I personally believe that mindset should trickle down to NFHS, and even ASA to a point.
News flash folks, there is life beyond softball. And even within softball, many of the HS & college coaches in my area used to be a fellow softball player or umpire. There are a couple that I was the umpire when they were playing baseball as a child. And I've probably had some social interaction, including alcohol, with all of them at one point or another.

A former national ASA UIC was an assistant coach at a DII school and a very popular umpire and clinician. How in the world were they to get an umpire if you sit on this ridiculous notion?