View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Lost my cool ( If I ever had it)

I have done about 40 HS games this year and I work 2 church leagues ( including on I train and assign for ) I have done about 40 church league games ( about 3 to 5 per weekend. )

This is my 12th year. I love refereeing. I handle coaches and crowds well. Having said all that, for some reason tonight, I got tired of being blamed for poor coaching and lack of talent.

I "T"ed up a coach at the buzzed for the half. He had a 6 point lead. 1 of 2 shoots made and he has a 5 point lead. Anyway, at one point he takes a time out and I go to lead. As I am heading there, one of his players says " I don't like you", I think, "T" worthy, but I pass and warm him I don't need to hear that, he says "I don't care". Pass.

Coach goes down by 10 complaining all the way, the bad passes are my fault, the missed shoots all my fault. As game ends he goes into a tirade, blaming me for his loss, calling ME by name and saying I screwed him and I am nothing but a piece of crap and the worst official there. (I am the most experienced official there and the highest rated ).

I should have walked away, but I was tired of it, and I said, Yeah coach, I missed all the shoots and I made all the bad passes. He literally had to be held back from attacking me. I know I was wrong, but what could be said?

Anyone else ever get this? I have had coaches tell me I am the worst they have ever seen, I think we all get that, ( I hope ) but tonight, I had enough.

I love refereeing. If some of you remember, I had wondered the last 2 years about if I was coming back and I have had a great season. Very good experiences over all. Only about 4 or 5 "T"s for the entire year and most of those were in church league ( less experienced coaches and players ).

I have lost 20 pounds this season and feel better than ever. So, help me here, keep my mouth shut or is there something I can defuse the situation with?