View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
This was a JV game. The game officials were not likely seasoned veterans. So, they learned a lesson in game management, and hopefully will become better officials. Likely it was a crew of two and in a loud gym and a close game, it is very easy to get caught up in the action.

Knowing the situation is important and as soon as the basket was made, a quick glance by the new lead if he was opposite table or new trail if he was opposite even before the ball hit the floor would have prevented the coach's actions from escalating.

That said, players should be taught by coaches to recognize when one is being requested. My last game had two player requested time outs. The best game of the year had a player trapped near the division line call for one with 6.1 seconds left in a tie game. Saw that coach Friday and told him it was a heads up play by his player.

I am not taking my eyes off a tight match-up to look at a coach for a time out request. I am looking there after a made basket when there is a run by the opponents or in an end of game situation as described in the OP. In 3 man, it is MUCH easier to do, however.