View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Personally, I really don't care where the batter is facing. I am not suggesting umpires ignore the HBP, maybe this umpire just blew it. Or maybe the umpire saw something that gave him/her cause to believe the player was trying to get hit. I don't know, I wasn't there.

I'm simply saying that if IMO the batter was trying to get hit, I do not care where the ball was, that batter isn't going to 1B.

With the "ball doesn't belong in the batter's box" logic, than a batter should never be awarded a base if it by a ball out of the BB whether they try to avoid or not, right?
I'd rather see the error made in that direction. Far as I'm concerned that should be a pretty big strike zone if a player is hit anywhere near the plate. I agree this one ump blew it. Girl wasn't set up toes on the line leaning over the plate she got hit in the middle of the batters box. In umpires opinion ( and I think current rule supports this ) whether she was trying to get hit or not is not the threshhold, the rule is whether she tried to avoid getting hit and in his opinions, turning away protecting her face (which is the one place you can get hit now that doesn't hurt thanks to facemasks) wasn't attempting to avoid. Maybe there is some compromise. I'd be happy if they changed the rule to "Player cannot move with the intent to get hit"