Thread: Glasses
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H
I've been an official here in Pa for about 15 yrs. While coming up through the JV ranks I always wore my glasses and not contact lens since I thought they were uncomfortable. A few senior officials told me the only way I would get moved up to varsity ball was to wear contacts, so I tried them again. After doing so, I was moved up and have enjoyed doing varsity ball for going on 9 yrs now and even got to do a district final last year. I still don't like wearing contacts and only wear them to do varsity ball. This being said, last March I developed a serious eye infection from using a bad lot of contact lens solution from a manufacturer that was in the news earlier this year. My eye is 100% healed now but...I've decided not to wear contacts ever again after going through that mess. Sooo, my question is...does anyone wear their glasses while officiating? If so, do you do varsity ball? I'm curious to see what if anything is said this season when I wear my glasses and not the contacts. Hopefully nothing.
Maybe you've now reached a point of respect in your group that the "perception" that glasses can bring will not hurt you. I guess you'll find out.

I always wear my contacts when I ref. IMO, glasses on an official do not look very athletic and it would drive me crazy to have glasses on while I was running and sweating.