Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Horror stories? You bet

My first game, I was a teacher at a Christian grade school where 98% of the students were black ( I'm white). My school was playing a school of all white students. "Their" official was calling the most lopsided game I've seen to this day. At one point the ball went out of bounds. He actually paused and thought for a moment, and then pointed in the direction of the white team. The coach from our school asked me, "Shouldn't he have called a jump ball if he wasn't sure?" He wanted to talk to the othe ref. So he called a time out, and asked me to send the other ref over. Sitting down, he asked the same question. "TECHNICAL FOUL!" "For WHAT?" Another T! "YOU'RE GONE!" Coach stands up, keeps his cool, straightens his tie, and walks out. Later he goes and sits in the stands. When the other ref sees him, he stops play and yells at him to leave the gym. Coach plays it cool again and leaves. The fans are going bonkers and yelling at this guy. He turns to me and says, "You need to go quiet your fans down!" I told him it was his call, he needed to do it. "You're my partner, you're supposed to back me up!" I finished the game. There were meetings between the schools. What a mess.