View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:59pm
tpaul

Re: Embarrassing

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
My most embarrassing moment came during a 14/15 year old baseball tournament game a 2 years ago. I had umpired for over a dozen years before this game but this was the first time working in this league and with these umpires.

When I arrived at the game I found my partners (3-man crew) and introduced myself. We all got ourselves ready as we did our pregame and then got to it.

We get to the top of the second, runner on first, no outs. The batter hits a line drive to left center. One ump goes out to watch for a catch. I take a step torward 3b, stop, turn to my left...and puke.

I had woken up that morning feeling a bit queezy but didn't want my 'new' partners thinking I was trying to weasle out of working the plate on a hot July day. I remember the only thought running through my head, "Don't get the shoes. Don't get the shoes."

Just this past weekend I had the pleasure of working with one of the guys who was on that game with me. His first words as I got out of the car ... "Aren't you the guy..."

Yup.
real nice Walt!