View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Okay, you know more.

I believe your words were "You don't even work this sport, how can you tell us what to do."

Well, Jeff, I've been working Division 1 baseball for over a dozen years. I've never encountered one person that has told me that it is illegal for a baseball officials to place a legal wager on a football game. But then again, much of your advice is full of holes. I learned on the field, not at a clinic.
Windy;

You are right and Rut is wrong with regards to baseball. On behalf of an NCAA supervisor, I did some research a few years ago on this subject. (The reason for the investigation was that we had D1 umpire with a betting problem.) We found that there is no organized betting on college baseball with the possible exception of the CWS. Thus, baseball umpires cannot be caught up in a betting scandel ala NCAA football or basketball. Hence, NCAA felt no need to caution or discipline baseball umpires about betting whereas they make a big deal about it with football or basketball officials.

Rut is correct for basketball and football. Heavy losses on football by a basketball official might allow professional gamblers to compromise the basketball official even though his betting had nothing to do with basketball.

Peter