View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I don't see this as deception. If the players choose to think about something else besides where the rules lead, that is their problem. Where is the coach in all this? Why isn't he telling his players where to line up? Our job is to ensure a fair game within the rules. How does this ploy in any way go against the rules? What is unsportsmanlike about taking legal advantage of the other team's thoughtlessness?
The deception comes in when the coach knowingly sends three of his players to the wrong end of the floor, in the hope of deceiving the other team's players. It's not illegal but certainly doesn't demonstrate good sportsmanship. This is a rec league game. This coach's attitude is typical of many that coach the rec league teams. The win at all costs attitude is prevalent and is more important to many than teaching youngsters good sportsmanship and how to play the game.

In a rec league game, if a defensive team goes to the wrong end of the floor to start a half, I, for one, will always blow my whistle and tell them to go to the other end.

I would be interested to know the age of these players.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith